About the ISP-system, a digital tool for individual study plans for doctoral students
A digital tool will replace the individual study plans that we now have on paper. The system has been tested on a few doctoral students and we will now slowly implement the system at four of our departments.
Background to why the system shall be used at KI
According to the Higher Education Ordinance every doctoral student should have an individual study plan that is decided on in consultation with the doctoral student and his or hers supervisors. In order to improve the quality of the individual study plans and to give a better support to all involved in the individual study plans, the Board of Doctoral Education has decided that KI should use a digital management tool, the ISP-system.
About the ISP system
The main supervisor creates an ISP in the system and thereafter the doctoral student and the supervisor can complete the ISP together. At the time of creation data from Ladok will be retrieved so that, for example, completed courses and financing will be shown. The study plan is reviewed and approved electronically in the system and the form will be locked for editing at the time of approval (establishment). The form then becomes available in a pdf format. When it is time for an annual revision, half-time review or if the study plan is in need of revision for any other reason, the principal supervisor opens a new version of the study plan which then can be edited and there after approved. The system is designed so that both the progression of the student as well as any changes or additions should be documented at the annual follow-up or half-time review.
The ISP system is web-based and therefore also accessible outside KI's network.
Some of the forms currently used related to the individual study plans will be discarded or revised when KI switches to digital management of study plans.
The ISP system improves the handling of individual study plans by for example:
- sending an automatically generated reminder to the doctoral student and principal supervisor when it is time for the annual review.
- retrieving data on finished courses and transferred credits from Ladok.
- providing the most recent study plan and previous versions electronically.
- ensuring that correct users are involved in the approval of a study plan.
- sending an email when a user has a study plan waiting for approval.
- including a message log where users can write messages to each other. A director of doctoral studies can for example write a message to a doctoral student with information regarding necessary improvements before the study plan can be approved, when returning it to the doctoral student.
- providing access to all study plans a user has access to, for example, a supervisor has access to all study plans for his/hers doctoral students and a director of doctoral studies has access to all study plans at his/hers department.
- giving a possibility to follow the students progression through her or his doctoral education.
How an ISP is created and established
- The doctoral student is admitted to the doctoral education at KI. The admission is registered in Ladok by the department administrator
- The department administrator assigns roles to the supervisors.
- The principal supervisor creates the study plan. The doctoral student and the supervisors discuss the content of the individual study plan. The doctoral student and the principal supervisor edit the study plan, co-supervisors can only view the study plan.
- When the doctoral student and the supervisors are satisfied with the study plan the doctoral student approves the study plan, and the study plan enters the approval procedure. When the Director of doctoral education and the department administrator receives the study plant they control that the study plan fulfills the criteria and approve the study plan.
- The last step in the process is the approval by the person responsible at the department to establish individual study plans (most commonly the Director of doctoral education).
Department administrators, Directors of the doctoral education, principal supervisors and newly admitted doctoral students from NVS, KBH, CNS and MedS will be offered training in the ISP system.
Training/workshops will be held for Department administrators, Directors of the doctoral education, principal supervisors and newly admitted doctoral students in preparation for that all Departments will start using the system.
All concerned staff from NVS, KBH, CNS and MedS will be offered training during 2019. Thereafter, training will be given to each Department depending on when they will start using the ISP-system. We aim to give the training as close to the starting point as possible.
User guides and forms
Remember that the user guides will be updated continuously.
Marie Sandström Akram
Robert Harris, Chair, Academic Vice President for Doctoral Education
Erika Franzén, Vice-chair, Deputy-chairperson of the Committee for Doctoral Education
Kristina Broliden, Head of Department, Department of Medicine, Solna
Elias Arnér, Director of Doctoral Studies, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
Åsa Nandorf, Object Manager, Head of Office, Education Support Office
Christopher Sönnerbrandt, Head of Unit, Unit for Admissions, Graduation and Dissertation
Leif Karlsson, Doctoral Student Representative
If you have any questions you are welcome to contact email@example.com.