Core facility for Campus Flemingsberg: ANA Futura BSL3
The Biosafety Level 3 laboratory (BSL3) core facility at ANA Futura is a infrastructure at KI South, developed to meet the pre-clinical and clinical research environments needs for work with BSL3 classified pathogens that can cause severe human disease.
The BSL3 core facility is located at ANA Futura, KI Campus Flemingsberg. ANA Futura is a laboratory and office space with >300 world leading scientists, clinicians, and teachers. The Karolinska University Hospital with patients in need of new therapies, is located next door.
ANA Futura Specialized Laboratories and Core Facilities include:
- ANA Futura BSL3 Core Facility
- ANA Futura Mass Spectrometry platform
- Pre-GMP facility
- Complete full service FACS facility for cells sorting and analysis
- ANA Futura Microscopy and Imaging analysis
- ANA Futura X-ray facility and others in close proximity at KI South
Access and booking
Access to the ANA Futura BSL3 Core Facility is preceded by the fulfilment of entry requirements which encompass understanding the risks associated with the handling of the pathogens used in the facility and understanding how to perform experiments with the pathogens in a safe manner.
As a service the facility provides training to new users and experimental support. Enquiries about access to the facility should be made through iLAb well in advance so that risk assessments, permits, procedures and training needs can be addressed.
Pricelist for services and access to equipment
The ANA Futura BSL3 Core Facility
The ANA Futura BSL3 Core Facility totals approximately 200 m2 of state-of-the-art laboratory space and was brought into operation in 2020. The facility is designed for safe handling and research on airborne and non-airborne BSL3-classified pathogens, and samples from patients with infectious diseases. It serves a growing number of investigators at Karolinska Institutet and the Karolinska University Hospital, located in pre-clinical and clinical environments and open to partnerships in academia, healthcare and the private sector.
The ANA Futura BSL3 Core Facility provides the users with three separate fully equipped culture rooms, one room equipped for cell sorting from infected material, and one room for equipment and chemicals. All work is conducted in microbiological safety cabinets class II.
The BSL3 Core Facility supports large-scale propagation and concentration of BSL3 classified pathogens and tissue/in vitro culture work.
The instrumentation at the core facility includes:
- a Sony cell-sorter
- a 10X Chromium controller
- multi-mode reader for microplates with ability to read absorbance, fluorescence, and luminescence
- an ultra-centrifuge, microscopes with cameras, cell counter, incubators, fridge, freezers, PCR machine, pipettes, scale, water bath, water boiler etc.
Support with all form of training to help with cell sorting can be provided upon request.
We currently have permission from the Swedish Work Environment Authority (Arbetsmiljöverket) to work with*:
- Coronaviridae (Coronavirus): SARS-CoV-2
- Retroviridae (Retrovirus): Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Hantaviridae (Hantavirus): All strains within the hantavirus family, including HFRS-causing viruses: Puumala virus, Dobrava virus, Hantaan virus, Seoul Virus and others; HPS-causing hantaviruses: Andes virus, Sin Nombre virus and others.
- Flaviviridae (Flavivirus): Tick Borne Encephalitis Virus (TBEV), Dengue virus (DENV), Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV), Yellow fever virus
- Flaviviridae (Hepacivirus): Hepatitis C-virus
- Hepadnaviridae (Orthohepadnavirus): Hepatitis B virus
- Deltavirus: Hepatitis delta-virus
*Additional permissions can be applied for upon request.
Our safety regulations are established together with researchers at Karolinska Institutet (KI) experienced in the handling of the specific BSL3 pathogen, the biosafety coordinator at KI, and representatives from the Public Health Agency of Sweden (Folkhälsomyndigheten).
The ANA Futura BSL3 Core Facility receives core-facility and strategic investment funding from KI and is one of two BSL-3 nodes at KI. The other node is located at Biomedicum, Campus Solna.
The ANA Futura BSL3 Core Facility Group
Jagadeeswara Rao MuvvaResearch Specialist
- Lars Frelin (LabMed)
- Jakob Michalesson (MedH)
- Susanna Brighenti (MedH)