Enhancing data storage at KI
Enhancing data storage is a project to simplify and improve data storage at Karolinska Institutet. Among the biggest changes are the phase-out of the services KI Cloud, KI Box and the home directory H:, as well as re-modelling of the shared data storage G:.
The overall goal for the data storage project is competitive and secure storage with improved collaboration and sharing features for both colleagues and external users.
To simplify and support KI's employees, the central IT Office has decided to perform all copying of data from KI Box, H: and OwnCloud. Please note that the project does not have access to the content of any copied files and data, the project will only see the number of files copied.
In 2023, the central IT Office will:
- Implement a change of G: where parts of users' data are copied to P: (approx. 11,000 users)
- Copy all users’ home data from directory H: to OneDrive (approx. 11,000 users)
Discontinue of services
After the copying of data to OneDrive is completed, KI Box, the home directory (H:) and OwnCloud will be discontinued.
Why is it necessary to change the data storage at KI?
Data storage at Karolinska Institutet has for many years been expanded and developed organically. The development has taken place at the IT Office, departments as well as core facilities. Due to this organic development, there are today many varying solutions for data storage based on many different techniques, software, routines and processes.
Improvements with the changes:
- Storage with improved collaboration and sharing features.
- Need-based storage options with P: L: and S3:
- Reduced costs through the closure of certain services.
- Improved tools and interfaces for monitoring services and data protection.
The project does not work with:
- The project does not work with information classification of user's files and data. This responsibility lies with the department and the owner of the information.
- The project does not work with the purchase/ installation of new technology as services are in already in operation and security-classified since before. The project copies data from service A to B.
- The project assists with copying and control of file transfer, but you must verify that you are happy with your copy immediately after completion.
Available data storage and sharing services
The table describes the data storage and sharing services available at KI, the type of data that can be stored, how the services are accessed, and how to connect to the storage itself.
Data storage and sharing services
Should the total amount of stored data on project folders, lab folders, or S3 storage exceed 70 TB, the institution will be charged an additional cost of SEK 1.29/GB/year.
|OneDrive||Teams||Group folder||Project folder||Lab folder||S3 storage||MFT||KI ELN|
|Description||Cloud||Cloud||Central storage||Central storage||Central storage||Central storage||Central storage||Central storage|
|Personal files and data||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Large sets of data||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Collaborating with employees at or affiliated to KI||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No. Max file size 50MB|
|Collaborating with external and non-KI parties||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|File transfer||No||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, data is deleted after 30 days||No|
|Sensitive personal data||Yes1||Yes1||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes2||Yes||Yes|
|KI network or VPN required||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Accessible from internet||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Accessing the storage
|Client on the computer||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No||No|
|Mapped as a folder||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
- Provided that Multifactor Authentication (MFA) is activated for everyone having access to the data.
- As long as shared within KI, S3 storage is approved for GDPR data. We are examining how/if GDPR data can be shared outside of KI with the S3 storage.
KI Box and OwnCloud
When the project started in 2020, the decommissioning of KI Box and OwnCloud began, which was replaced by OneDrive. KI Box is now discontinued at KI.
For questions about the project or the project organisation, please contact IT support.
More information for logged in staff
There is more information for those of you working in the following groups
- C7.Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics