Information for KI supervisors recruiting Chinese doctoral students applying for CSC scholarships 2020
As KI supervisors interested in recruiting Chinese doctoral students applying for CSC scholarships 2020, you will find information on the process and important dates, procedures for admission at KI and entry requirements at KI.
To attract potential scholarship applicants you need to formulate and submit a short research project description with which the applicants can apply for the CSC scholarship. All project descriptions will be compiled into a catalogue, from which the potential recruits will search a project suitable for their interest and background. The potential recruit will contact the KI supervisors for possibilities. Through interviews and possible other interactions, you will choose to invite the most suitable person for the project. If a match is found you need to work out a more detailed research plan with which the potential recruit can apply for a scholarship under the KI-CSC program. Only supervisors who submit a research project description before the deadline, October 7 2019, will be included in the programme.
Responsibility as KI supervisor
As a potential KI supervisor, your responsibility is to:
- provide a project, with which the Chinese scholar can apply for a CSC scholarship.
- interact with potential CSC scholarship applicants and assess their possibility of future research education at KI.
- provide the candidate you selected with required documents.
- top up the scholarship, if your candidate is awarded a scholarship by CSC, to the minimum level required by KI, with either a complementary scholarship or by part time employment. The current level of the CSC scholarship is 15 000 SEK/month for doctoral students and is paid directly to the CSC scholarship recipients from the date of arrival in Sweden and for exactly four years.
Information on income level and supplementary funding for doctoral students.
Before the prospective doctoral student can arrive at KI
The prospective doctoral student must
- apply to CSC for the scholarship,
- apply for elegibility at KI
- apply to be admitted for doctoral studies at KI.
The doctoral student must be admitted to doctoral studies and get his/her student visa. It is no longer allowed to spend a period as a visiting researcher at KI before admittance. However, the potential student can be invited for a short visit to the lab on a visitor’s visa for in depth interview and discussion of the research project.
CSC call spring 2020 – the process and important dates 2019-2020
Only supervisors who submit a research project description, before the deadline, will be included in the programme. As a potential KI supervisor recruiting CSC supported doctoral students, you must follow the process as described below.
Due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus, CSC has announced a new deadline for applications:
- The online application period to CSC is 10–30 April
- Submission of application documents and Institution approval before May 12
- The final result will be published late June.
Considering that all the major English tests have been cancelled in March, the applicants don't need to hand in their IELTS, TOEFL scores when applying online if they haven't taken the tests, but once they pass the evaluation and are potentially granted the scholarship, they need to hand in the qualified English test scores, so that they can finally get approved to obtain the scholarship and go abroad.
1. Define your project for advertising. Deadline Oct. 7, 2019
For advertising your project, you submit the project descriptions electronically by using the KI Prisma system. Only supervisors/hosts who submit a research project description before the deadline will be included in the programme.
Start by setting up personal account in Prisma. We recommend you use “Set up a personal account with Swamid”. The form contains a couple of tabs that you should not care about such as Participants, CV and Publications tabs do not fill in anything.
September 10 - October 7 (2:00 pm): System open for entering project descriptions. You may change, upload new and update your files on the portal before you make your final submission. After October 7 (2:00 pm) it isn’t possible to make changes. When you have logged in, choose "Applications and grants", look for the name of the call "KI-China scholarship council programme", then "apply". Look for "applications" and start your draft.
- Fill in the project description form, 1-2 pages.
The project description should include a project title, description of the research, qualifications of applicant, description of the research group and key words for finding the project in a database.
The following document needs to be uploaded with the project description:
- Upload an approved Green light for recruiting a doctoral student with a CSC scholarship, from your department. (This document will not be displayed to the potential applicants.)
The project descriptions will be published at the KI and CSC website prior to the CSC Fairs 2019 in mid-October. KI representatives will participate in the CSC Fairs held in Beijing.
2. Select your candidate. October 2019 through March 2020
During the period from October 2019 to March 2020, Chinese applicants will contact you according to their research interests to search for the possibility in pursuit of a doctoral education with your announced research project. Only supervisors who submit a research project description, before the deadline, will be included in the programme.
As a potential supervisor, you should:
- Conduct interviews with interested applicants (in person or online) for the evaluation and judgement of applicant’s scientific competence and language skills.
- Contact the applicant’s references in order to further evaluate the applicant’s scientific competence and language skills.
3. Invite your candidate – before the end of March 2020
Only supervisors who submit a research project description, before the deadline, will be included in the programme. If you select a potential candidate and a mutual agreement is reached, you should send the following documents to the applicant whom you have selected:
- a letter of invitation, using the KI template approved by CSC (no additional sentence about the English as working language is needed). The letter should be co-signed by the head of department.
- a detailed research plan for the research training (2-4 pages)
- your signed CV according to specifications from CSC, which your applicant will provide.
It is crucial that the letter of invitation is issued preconditioned of a successful application of CSC scholarship, of fulfilling the entry requirements, as well as a successful assessment by the department leading to an admission decision. It should also be noted that it is not advisable for KI supervisors to issue more letters of invitation than their actual hosting capacities.
Send a copy of your letter of invitation to KI International Relations Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for documentation and for KI’s endorsement to CSC. CSC will only consider applicants with invitation letters included in the official KI endorsement list.
4. Procedure for applying for CSC scholarships, April 2020
The following information is for you as potential supervisor about the responsibility of the Chinese applicant.
- The applicant submits his/her online application for CSC scholarships at the CSC website under the category of CSC-KI collaborative project (国家留学基金委与卡罗林斯卡医学院合作项目).
- Upon completion of the online application, the applicants submit the hardcopy of their application, including all required documents, to their home universities/institutions for institutional endorsement/recommendation to CSC.
- After going through institutional endorsement procedures, the home universities/institutions will mail the hardcopy applications to CSC. Notably, CSC must receive the complete applications (both online and hardcopy applications) by end of April 2020. Hence, it is highly recommendable that all applicants complete the online application early and proceed to institutional endorsement early.
If your Chinese applicant is currently in a master’s degree programme in Sweden, he or she can submit the application through Education Section of the Chinese Embassy in Stockholm.
As mentioned earlier, for endorsement of applicants by KI, an official list of the applicants is made from the copies of the invitation letters sent to KI International Relations Office. The list of endorsed applicants is sent to CSC. Only applicants that have been endorsed by KI will be considered by CSC.
5. Selection of candidates by CSC, May- June 2020
CSC organizes independent evaluations of all submitted applications during May to June May 2020. CSC informs applicants’ home universities/institutions, as well as KI, of the outcome of the applications in late June 2020.
The KI International Relations Office, Monika Berge, will inform you the outcome of the CSC scholarship applications upon receiving the notifications from CSC.
As your candidate has been selected you should proceed in planning the doctoral education together with the CSC scholarship awardee.
As a supervisor, you should
- Encourage the applicant to take TOEFL or IELTS test as early as possible if he/she does not have a qualified English proficiency score (TOEFL 90 IBT, ≥20 on the written section; or IELTS 6.5, no section below 5.5) or does not hold a master diploma issued from an English-speaking country or Sweden. An English proficiency score is needed for the eligibility assessment of doctoral study entry at KI once the doctoral student is granted a CSC scholarship.
In order to be admitted to KI, the potential doctoral student must:
- apply for assessment of eligibility at KI, as soon as possible after receiving notice of an awarded scholarship.
- apply for admittance to doctoral studies at KI,
- once eligibility is established, following the instructions for Admission procedure in the case of exemption from the announcement requirement
- apply for a student visa, after being admitted at KI.
Before starting at KI, the student may be invited for a short visit to the lab on a visitor’s visa. The student shall then apply for admission to doctoral studies from China. Once admitted, the student can apply for a student visa. The students may not start their doctoral studies at KI before the head of department has decided on admission to doctoral education and the student has received a student visa.