After graduating from the study programme in psychology in 2011 with a MSc I worked as a clinical psychologist at an outpatient psychiatric care unit and as a lecturer at the Centre for Psychiatry Research at Karolinska Institutet. I became a Licensed Psychologist in Sweden in 2012 and have continued doing part-time clinical work in different settings ever since. I completed my PhD at the Department of Psychology at Stockholm University in 2017 with a doctoral thesis on the negative effects of Internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy. After my dissertation I spent almost two years as a researcher at the Institute of Child Health at University College London, where I am currently an Honorary Associate Professor. I am presently a Post Doctoral Researcher at the Centre for Psychiatry Research at Karolinska Institutet.
My research concerns four broad topics:
- Transdiagnostic issues and behavioural problems related to psychiatric disorders, such as perfectionism and procrastination.
- Negative effects and malpractice issues related to psychological treatments.
- Internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy.
- Implementation and effectiveness of novel methods in inpatient care, for instance patient-controlled admissions.
I am a supervisor for two doctoral students:
- Matilda Berg at the Department of Behavioural Sciences and Learning at Linköping University (Learning and knowledge in cognitive behaviour therapy).
- Emelie Allenius at the Centre for Psychiatry Research at Karolinska Institutet (Patient-controlled admissions for patients with severe psychiatric disorders).
At the Centre for Psychiatry Research at Karolinska Institutet I am a course coordinator, examiner, and teacher in relation to courses in basic training in cognitive behaviour therapy, and a teacher at the study programme in psychotherapy. This involves teaching psychological treatments for depression and anxiety disorders, research methods, and topics concerning my own research. I also supervise a number of theses for MSc and BSc students.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
Granted the annual award for disseminating knowledge on cognitive behavior therapy in 2020, by the Swedish Association of Behaviour Therapy: https://www.beteendeterapeutiska.org/prisutdelning
Nominee for the annual award to an outstanding young researcher in psychology in 2019, by the Swedish National Committee for Psychological Sciences: http://sncfp.psychology.su.se/pris/gottwald.html
Nominee for the annual award to an outstanding young researcher in psychology in 2018, by the Swedish National Committee for Psychological Sciences: http://sncfp.psychology.su.se/pris/stenling.html