I am a Ph.D. in medical science, focus on epidemiology and cognitive aging, at Karolinska Institutet (KI) since May 2018. Before, I received a master degree in Clinical Psychology at the University of Padua (2009) where I trained as neuropsychologist. I have collaborated with the Italian National Research Council–Institute of Neuroscience, Aging Branch in Padua on several research projects in the field of diabetes-related complications and cognitive function, diet and cognition, quality of life in patients with knee surgery (2010-ongoing). During the Ph.D, I was student representative and later chair (2015-2018) of the NVS PhD student Council. Since fall 2018, I am vice-chair for Professional Development at KI Postdoc association.
I am also a licensed psychologist since 2011, with clinical training in neuropsychology in the Department of Neuroscience–Neurology I Operative Unit. While working with patients, I started to notice that those with diabetes had a different cognitive profile, so I wanted to learn more.
My research interests are:
1) The impact of cardiometabolic conditions on different phases of cognitive aging, the potential underlying mechanisms and compensating lifestyle mechanisms. Specifically, I aim to understand whether and to what extent hyperglycemia, cardio- and cerebrovascular diseases, brain atrophy, vascular brain lesions, active lifestyle, and cognitive resreve can modulate the effects of prediabetes and diabetes on cognitive aging. In my previous and current projects, I use longitudinal data from three population-based observational studies: the Swedish National study on Aging and Care-Kungsholmen (SNAC-K), SNAC-K magnetic resonance imaging study (SNAC-K MRI), and the Swedish Adoption/Twin Study of Aging (SATSA).
2) The impact of nutrition and cognitive aging. This project is in collaboration with the EU-funded NU-AGE project, the first multicenter randomized controlled trial assessing the impact of a culturally adapted, individually tailored, whole Mediterrenean-like diet on age-related conditions such as cognitive and functional decline.
- Ph.D. (doktorexamen), Karolinska Institutet (May 2018)
- Licensed psychologist, Italy (2011)
- Master degree in "Clinical psychology", University of Padua, Italy (2009)
- Bachelor degree in "Cognitive psychology and psychobiology", University of Padua, Italy (2007)