Previous professional experience as a research consultant to several international organizations including the World Health Organization (WHO) and Guttmacher Institute. I also have experience working with SRHR within the Swedish health-care system and improving the quality of sexuality education in Swedish schools.
My research focuses on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) including family planning, HIV prevention and epidemiology, gender norms and gender-based violence. I am particularly interested in the SRHR of adolescents and youth, and have studied topics such as determinants of teenage pregnancy in urban poor settings, factors that shape adolescent gender norms globally, young men’s fertility intentions, youth sexual dysfunction, and the quality of comprehensive adolescent health programs. Most of my research is located in low-and middle income countries and I have been part of several multi-county studies spanning sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, South America, North America and Europe.
For my PhD thesis (2017) I studied the prevalence and patterns of sexual experiences and its association with gender norms among young adolescents (ages 10-14) in Nairobi slum settlements, as part of the Global Early Adolescent Study. The thesis can be found here and has also been published as a Development Dissertation Brief by Expertbyrån för Biståndsanalys (EBA).
Areas of expertise include:
Sexual and reproductive health and rights
Very young adolescents
Gender, gender norms and health
Maternal and child health
Examples of projects and collaborations:
Explore4Action, evaluation of the comprehensive sexuality education programme Setara in Indonesia together with Rutgers International
Norms and values related to gender & SRHR in four sub-Saharan African countries together with World Values Survey and Expertbyrån för biståndsanalys
School-based primary prevention of sexual- and gender-based violence among adolescents in peri-urban Cape Town, South Africa (funded by Vetenskapsrådet)
Prevention of sexual and gender-based violence among adolescents in Kenya, Malawi and South Sudan
Women's economic empowerment India, collaboration with the World Values Survey, University of California San Diego and Gates Foundation
WelTel PMTCT project in western Kenya
SRHR knowledge, attitudes and behaviours among newly-arrived migrants in Stockholm
- Course Leader, Human Rights and International Organizations in a Global Health Perspective, 7.5 credits
- Co-course Leader, Global Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: Methods, Concepts and Implications for Policy and Practice, 3 credits
- Lecturer at graduate and undergraduate levels on topics related to SRHR, gender norms and health, adolescent health and SRHR, and behavior change models.
- PhD from the Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2017)
- Master of Public Health (MPH) in epidemiology and global health from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2012).
- Bachelor of Public Health from the University of Gothenburg (2007).
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Phi Beta Kappa, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2017)
- Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2017)
- Caroline Cochrane Award for Population and Reproductive Health (2015)
- Daphne Purves Award, Graduate Women International (2014)
- Fellowship in Family Planning, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2013, 2014, 2016)
- International Peace Scholar, P.E.O International (2011, 2012)
- Fulbright Grant, Fulbright Commission Sweden (2011)