I am associate professor and senior lecturer in physiotherapy and physiotherapist at the Karolinska University Hospital. I obtained my PhD in physiotherapy at KI. Thereafter, I did my postdoctoral training first at the Sahlgrenska Academy in Gothenburg and then at the Aging Research Center, KI.
My research concerns health in older adults, with special focus on physical function, physical activity, sedentary behavior, and injurious falls. My research combines clinical studies (interventions and implementation research) with large population-based studies. The goals are to increase knowledge regarding:
- Determinants and consequences of disability, physical inactivity, and injurious falls in older adults
- The effect of physical exercise interventions on functioning and health in old age
- Implementation of evidence-based methods in clinical practice
My research has been supported by various foundations, including Region Stockholm (CIMED and ALF), the Swedish Research Council (VR), FORTE, Strategic Research Area Health Care Science at KI, KI funds, the Research School in Health Care Science, and Konung Gustaf Vs och Drottning Victorias Frimurarestiftelse.
I was WP-leader in the EU-financed MPI-age project (2014-2017: http://www.mpiage.eu/), and I am currently WP-leader for the European SHARED project. I am principal supervisor for one PhD student and one postdoc, and co-supervisor of three PhD students.
- Early identification of older adults at risk for injurious falls—from observational studies to implementation
- Social Health And Reserve in the Dementia patient journey (SHARED)
- Preventing functional decline in acutely hospitalized older patients – effect of a simple exercise program versus individualized multicomponent training (PREV FUNC study)
- Preventing functional decline in acutely hospitalized older adults – effect and process evaluation of a transitional care intervention
I have been course leader, examiner, and teacher for several courses at the doctoral level, advanced level, and undergraduate level. I am currently responsible for the courses at the advanced level, Health in old age from a multiprofessional perspective”, and “Master course in dementia care for physiotherapists and occupational therapists”.
Concerning pedagogical training, I have more than 15 weeks of pedagogical education.
Currently, I am one of five pedagogical ambassadors for research education at KI.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
In 2015, I received the Karolina Prize (Karolinapriset; the Karolinska Hospital research prize for excellent clinical research).