I am a postdoc in Eric Westman's neuroimaging reserach group in the Division of Clinical Geriatrics, NVS Department. The group reserach focus is on dementia due to common forms of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease and vascular cerebropathlogy as well as Lewy bodies, frontotemporal lobar degeneration and Parkinson's disease. I am a licensed psychologist with clinical training in neuropsychology and have a PhD in aging epidemiology.
My research interests are:
1) Cardiometabolic conditions, cognitive and brain aging. In this area, I investigate the role of metabolic (e.g. metabolic syndrome, prediabetes, and diabetes) and cardio-/cerebrovascular disorders on different stages of cognitive aging (from subtle cognitive decrements, through cognitive decline, to dementia), exploring the underlying cerebral and compensating mechanisms.
2) Cognitive reserve, cognition and dementia. I investigate the interplay bewteen cognitive reserve (i.e. brain’s capability to compensate for a certain amount of brain pathology preserving cognitive function), age-related brain pathology (e.g. Alzheimer and vascular), and reserve-enhancing factors (e.g. education, work complexity, lifestyle) in relation to cognitive function, preclinical and overt dementia.
In the abovementioned projects, I use longitudinal data from population-based and clinical-based cohorts, such as the Gothenburg H70 Birth Cohort Studies, the Swedish National study on Aging and Care-Kungsholmen, the Swedish Adoption/Twin Study of Aging, the UK Biobank, and ADNI.
I am involved in the EU Joint Programme–Neurodegenerative Disease Research (JPND)’s SHARED consortium, the International Society of Vascular Behavioural and Cognitive Disorders (VasCog), NIA-supported Collaboratory on Research Definitions for reserve and resilience in cognitive aging and dementia.
- PhD in Geriatric Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet (2018)
- Licensed psychologist, Italy (2011)
- Master degree in Clinical psychology, University of Padova, Italy (2009)
- Bachelor degree in Cognitive Psychology and Psychobiology, University of Padova, Italy (2007)