Previous professional experience as a research consultant to several international organizations including the World Health Organization (WHO) and Guttmacher Institute. I also have experience working with SRHR within the Swedish health-care system and improving the quality of sexuality education in Swedish schools.
My research focuses on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) including family planning, HIV prevention and epidemiology, gender norms and gender-based violence. I am particularly interested in the SRHR of young people, and have studied topics such as determinants of teenage pregnancy in urban poor settings, factors that shape adolescent gender norms globally, young men’s fertility intentions, youth sexual dysfunction, and the quality of comprehensive adolescent health programs. Most of my research is located in low-and middle income countries and I have been part of several multi-county studies spanning sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, South America, North America and Europe.
For my PhD thesis I studied the prevalence and patterns of sexual experiences and its association with gender norms among young adolescents (ages 10-14) in Nairobi slum settlements, as part of the Global Early Adolescent Study. The thesis can be found here and has also been published as a Development Dissertation Brief by Expertbyrån för Biståndsanalys (EBA).
Areas of expertise include:
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Adolescent health
- Very young adolescents
- Gender, gender norms and health
- Maternal and child health
- Global Health
- Systematic reviews
Lecturer at graduate and undergraduate levels on topics related to SRHR, gender norms and health, adolescent health and SRHR, and behavior change models.
- PhD from the Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2017)
- Master of Public Health (MPH) in epidemiology and global health from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2012).
- Bachelor of Public Health from the University of Gothenburg (2007).
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Phi Beta Kappa, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2017)
- Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2017)
- Caroline Cochrane Award for Population and Reproductive Health (2015)
- Daphne Purves Award, Graduate Women International (2014)
- Global Health Field Research Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2014)
- Fellowship in Family Planning, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2013, 2014, 2016)
- Edie Moore Travel Scholarship, Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine (2013)
- International Peace Scholar, P.E.O International (2011, 2012)
- MPH Global Health Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2011)
- Fulbright Grant, Fulbright Commission Sweden (2011)