Affiliated to research
Annika Janson is an associate professor in paediatrics at Karolinska Institutet and a paediatrican, senior consultant in the department of Paediatric Endocrinology at Karolinska University Hospital
I am a clinically active paediatrician and paediatric endocrinologist and work in the department of paediatric endocrinology at Karolinska University Hospital in Solna, and at the National Childhood Obesity Centre located in Liljeholmen. I am heading the regional working group on childhood obesity in Region Stockholm.
I have a keen interest in global health, especially maternal and child health. I have worked in several countries, the lastest was Ethiopia with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM). I am connected with the Department of Women's and Children's Health (KBH) here at Karolinska Institutet.
I am the deputy editor-in-chief of the scientific journal Acta Paediatrica.
I also lead the working group that should give directions for obesity care for children and adolescents in the Stockholm region, "Regional arbetsgrupp barnobesitas (RAGBO)"
My research interests are global health, public health, routine health information systems, childhood obesity, adolescent medicine, bariatric surgery, type 2 diabetes, type 1 diabetes, thyroid disease, and Addison`s disease.
1. Janson A. Sleeping it off? The value of sleep in children treated for obesity. Acta Paediatrica, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1111/apa.16366
2. Janson A, Järvholm K, Sjögren L, Dahlgren J, Beamish A J, Gronowitz E, Olbers T Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery in adolescents – for whom, when, and how? Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1159/000524002
1. Adane A, Adege TM, Ahmed MM, Anteneh HA, Ayalew ES, Berhanu D ,Berhanu N, Getnet M, Bishaw T, Busza J, Cherinet E, Dereje M, Desta TH, Dibabe A, Firew HS, Gebrehiwot F, Gebreyohannes E, Gella Z, Girma A, Halefom Z, Jama SF, Janson A, Kemal B, Kiflom A,1 Mazengiya YD, Mekete K, Mengesha M,Nega MW, Otoro IA, Schellenberg J,Taddele,4 Gulilat Tefera T, Teketel A, Tesfaye A, Tsegaye T, Woldesenbet K, Wondarad Y, Yusuf ZM, Zealiyas K, Zeweli MH, Persson LÅ, Lemma S. Exploring data quality and use of the routine health information system in Ethiopia: a mixed-methods study. BMJ Open 2021;11:e050356. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2021-050356
2. Janson A. The growth of nations' children. Acta Paediatrica 2021. https://doi.org/10.1111/apa.16125
3. Ngwalangwa F, Katumbi C, Dube Q, Langton J, Baker T, Janson A, Hildenwall H. The association of low blood glucose and low serum cortisol levels in severely ill children admitted to tertiary referral hospitals in Malawi: A case-control study. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 2021: https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.21-0040
4. Janson A. Gro Harlem Brundtland wrote about growth and puberty in Acta Paediatrica. Acta Paediatrica 2021, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/apa.15928
5. Janson A, Bohlin A, Johansson B-M, Trygg-Lycke S, Gauffin G, Klaesson S. Adapting pediatric obesity care to better suit adolescent patients: design of a treatment platform and results compared with standard care in the national patient quality register. Obesity Science and Practice 2021, https://doi.org/10.1002/osp4.539
6. Janson A. Will we return to the days of chance meetings at scientific conferences? Acta Paediatrica, 2021: https://doi.org/10.1111/apa.15844
7. Busza J, Lemma S, Janson A, Adem SO, Berhanu D, Defar A, Persson LÅ, Källestål C. Strengthening routine health data analysis in Ethiopia: The Operational Research and Coaching for Analysts (ORCA) experience. Global Health Action, 2021 https://doi.org/10.1080/16549716.2021.1901390
8. Thorén A, Janson A, Persson M. “Now she prefers jeans, like everyone else" - Parents´ experiences of group- and web-based treatment of children´s obesity." Acta Paediatrica, 2021. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/apa.15798
9. Adane A., Adege T.M., Ahmed M.W., Anteneh, H.A., Ayalew E.S., Berhanu D., Berhanu N., Beyene M.G:, Bhattacharya A., Bishaw T., Cherinet E., Dereje M., Desta T.H., Dibabe A., Firew H.S., Gebrehiwot F., Gebreyohannes E., Gella Z., Girma A., Halefom Z., Jama S.F., Kemal B., Kiflom A., Källestål C., Lemma S., Mazengiya Y.D., Mekete K., Mengesha M., Nega M.W., Otoro I.A. Scehllenberg J., Taddele T., Tefera G., Teketel A., Tesfaye M., Tsegaye T., Woldesenbet K., Wondarad Y., Yusuf Z., Zealiyas K., Zeweli M.H., Persson L. Å., Janson A.: Routine health management information system data in Ethiopia: Consistency, trends, and challenges. Global Health Action, 2021 https://doi.org/10.1080/16549716.2020.1868961
1. Björk A, Dahlgren J, Gronowitz E, Henriksson Wessely F, Janson A, Engström M, Sjögren L, Olbers T, Järvholm J. High prevalence of neurodevelopmental problems in adolescents eligible for bariatric surgery for severe obesity Acta Paediatrica, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1111/apa.1570
2. Lemma S, Janson A, Persson LÅ, Wickremasinghe D, Källestål C Improving quality and use of routine health information system data in low- and middle-income countries: A scoping review. PLOS One, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0239683
3. Ek AE, Samuelsson U, Janson A, Carlsson A, Elimam A, Marcus C Microalbuminuria and retinopathy in adolescents and young adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Pediatric Diabetes 2020 https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.13074
4. Thorén A, Janson A, Englund E, Silfverdal SA. Development, implementation and early results of a 12-week web-based intervention targeting 51 children age 5-13 years and their families. Obesity Science and Practice 2020. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/osp4.440.
5. Janson A, Järvholm K, Gronowitz E, Sjögren L, Klaesson S, Engström M, Peltonen M, Ekbom K, Dahlgren J, OlbersT.A randomized controlled trial comparing intensive non-surgical treatment with bariatric surgery in adolescents aged 13-16 years (AMOS2): Rationale, study design, and patient recruitment. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications 2020. https://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S2451-8654(20)30076-
6. Torbjörnsdotter T, Marosvari-Barna E, Henckel E, Corrias M, Norgren S, Janson A. Successful treatment of a cohort of infants with neonatal diabetes using insulin pumps including data on genetics and estimated incidence. Acta Paediatrica 2020. https://doi.org/10.1111/apa.15100