Annika Östman Wernerson
I am Academic Vice President of Higher Education since 1 January 2019, Professor of Renal and Transplantation Science at the Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology (CLINTEC) and Senior Consultant in Clinical Pathology at the Karolinska University Hospital in Huddinge.
I perform research in both renal medicine and medical education. The medical research project is focused on studies of the underlying mechanisms of different kidney diseases. The medical education research project aims to understand how emotionally difficult situations affect learning for medical, nursing, and teacher students. I am a member of the Pedagogical Academy at Karolinska Institutet. I have received the KI Pedagogical Prize and a prize for clinical supervisors at Karolinska University Hospital.
I have a deep, long-standing commitment to education, and have devoted myself to this vital area in my capacity a former member of the medical programme committee and director and coordinator of the Centre for Clinical Education. Today, I combine clinical work with research and education in pathology and other subjects. Working as a teacher, clinician and researcher is a privilege, and now that I am part of KI’s academic management I can help all areas to grow and develop even more.
I am the principal investigator of research in kidney diseases and in medical education and have published around 80 scientific articles. I am currently principal supervisor for two PhD students and have supervised three who have completed a doctoral degree. I have also been co-supervisor for nine PhD students, of which eight have completed a doctoral degree, one is ongoing.
My current research in kidney diseases is mainly funded by ALF and Njurfonden. The project aims to gain a better understanding of the causes of different types of renal disease. By collaborating closely with several clinics, we carefully characterize patients undergoing renal biopsy. The aim of the project is to prevent disease and to improve methods for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. As part of this project I am collaborating with researchers in Central America and Asia to find out why young men working on plantations suffer from chronic renal failure.
My current educational research is funded by the Swedish Research Council (VR). My colleagues and I are studying how emotionally stressful situations affect medical, nursing and teacher students in their studies. The project is performed in collaboration with Linköping University and aims to obtain a better understanding of the students' development and socialization into their professional roles and what the educational programmes can do to better support the students ahead of their future profession.
Selected publications Medicine:
1. Wijkström J, Elinder CG, Hultenby K, Söderberg M, Wernerson A . Dysmorphic lysosomes in proximal tubular cells are not specific for CINAC/CKDu and does not provide evidence that CINAC is a toxin induced disease. Kidney Int, in press
2. Levin L, Reznichenko A, Witasp A, Liu P, Greasley PJ, Sorrentino A, Blondal T, Zambrano S, Nordström J, Bruchfeld A, Barany P, Ebefors K, Erlandsson F, Patrakka J, Stenvinkel P, Nyström J, Wernerson A. Novel insights into the disease transcriptome of human diabetic glomeruli and tubulointerstitium. Accepted for publication NDT 2020-03-19
3. Zambrano S, Möller-Hackbarth K, Li X, Rodriguez PQ, Charrin E, Schwarz A, Nyström J, Wernerson A, Patrakka J: GPRC5b modulates inflammatory response in glomerular diseases via NF-kB pathway. J Am Soc Nephrol. 30(9) 1573-1586, 2019
4. Schwarz A, Möller-Hackbarth K, Ebarasi L, Unnersjö Jess D, Zambrano S, Blom H, Wernerson A, Lal M, Patrakka J. Coro2b, a podocyte protein downregulated in human diabetic nephropathy, is involved in the development of protamine sulphate-induced foot process effacement. Sci Rep. 9:8888. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-45303-y, 2019
5. Nilsson LM, Zhang L, Bondar A, Svensson D, Wernerson A, Brismar H, Scott L, Aperia A. Prompt apoptotic response to high glucose in SGLT-expressing renal cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 316:F1078-F1089, 2019
6. Wijkström J, Jayasumana C, Dassanayake R, Priyawardane N, Godakanda N, Siribaddana S et al: Morphological and clinical findings in Sri Lankan patients with chronic kidney disease of unknown cause (CKDu): Similarities and differences with Mesoamerican Nephropathy. PLoSOne 13:e 0193056, 2018
Seleced publications Pedagogics:
1. Seeberger A, Lönn A, Hult H, Weurlander M, Wernerson A. Can empathy be preserved in medical education? Int J Med Educ 20; 83-89, 2020
2. Weurlander M, Lönn A, Seeberger A, Hult H, Thornberg R, Wernerson A: Emotional challenges of medical students generate feelings of uncertainty. Medical Education. 53:1037-1048, 2019
3. Lindqvist H, Weurlander M, Wernerson A, Thornberg R: Conflicts viewed through the micro-political lens: Beginning teachers’ coping strategies for emotionally challenging situations. Research Papers in Education. 2019
4. Lindqvist H, Weurlander M, Wernerson A, Thornberg R: Boundaries as a coping strategy: emotional labour and relationship maintenance in distressing teacher education situations. European J of Teacher Education. 42:5, 634-649, 2019
5. Weurlander M, Lönn A, Seeberger A, Hult H, Wernerson A: How do medical and nursing students experience emotional challenges during clinical placements? Int J Med Ed 27: 74-82, 2018
6. Lindqvist H, Weurlander M, Wernerson A, Thornberg: Resolving feelings of professional inadequacy: Student teachers´ coping with distressful situations. Teaching and teacher ed. 2017: 64; 270-79
- MD, Karolinska Institutet, 1991
- Dr Med Sc, Karolinska Institutet, 1990
- “Teachers of the future”, Karolinska Institutet, 2000-2002
- Associate Professor, Karolinska Institutet, 2003
- Senior Consultant in Clinical Pathology, Karolinska University Hospital, 2004
- IMEX - International Medical Educators Exchange 2011-2013
- Professor, Karolinska Institutet, 2016
Since 1986, I have been teaching pathology in several educational programs and also been a director of studies and a course coordinator. For several years I was the director of studies (programstudierektor) at Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge. I have developed courses and participated in the change of the medical program (LUT). Since several years, I perform educational development and research where I, among other things, have developed case seminars in pathology for students at several programs (medical- , dental- , nursing -, medical informatics and biomedical programs), and have also participated in the development of new examination forms. Regarding my research in medical education, see the description above.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Huddinge Hospital Award for clinical supervisors 2003
- Member of the Karolinska Institute's Pedagogical Academy since 2011
- Karolinska Institutet's Pedagogical Prize 2012