Associate Professor of Respiratory Medicine and Consultant Respiratory Physician at Karolinska University Hospital.
Research Groups Leader at Institute of Enviromental Medicine, Unit of Lung and Airway Research.
I am a respiratory physician-scientist combining active clinical duties with clinical and translational research on airway diseases, focusing on severe asthma and bronchiectasis.
My research aims to link the clinical symptoms and signs of severe asthma and bronchiectasis with the underlying inflammatory and immunological mechanisms contributing to a better understanding of those diseases with the ultimate goal of the well-being of our patients.
I actively participate in medical education at the graduate, post-graduate and professional levels.
Teaching asthma at the graduate level for third-year medical students at the department of medicine, Huddinge, Karolinska Institutet and at the post-graduate level for nurses at the department of clinical science and education, Södersjukhuset, Karolinska Institutet.
Teaching Respiratory Medicine at the graduate level for second-year dental students at the Department of Dental medicine, Karolinska Institutet.
Member of the educational council committee of the European Respiratory Society.
Associate editor for Breath, the clinical, educational publication from the European Respiratory Society.
Principal supervisor for PhD student Pia Ghosh, a specialist in Respiratory Medicine, Karolinska Institutet.
Co-supervisor for PhD students; Valentyna Yasinska, Lorenz Wirth, and Yitao Gong, all at Karolinska Institutet.
You Lu, M.D. (PhD 2011, Gothenburg University), Principal Supervisor
Carina Malmhäll MSc (Ph.D. 2014, Gothenburg University), Co-supervisor
Stig Hagstad, MD (Ph.D. 2015, Gothenburg University), Co-supervisor
Berne Eriksson, MD (Ph.D. 2017, Gothenburg University), Co-supervisor
Elza Evren M.Sci. (Ph. D 2022, Karolinska Institutet),Co-supervisor
- 2000 MD, Medical School, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece.
- 2000 board-certified medical doctor, Greece.
- 2003 board-certified medical doctor, Sweden
- 2004 PhD in airway inflammation, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece.
- 2004-2007 Post-doctoral studies on airway immunology, ( Professor Jan Lötvall), Sahlgrenska Academy, Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2007-2013 Resident in Respiratory Medicine, Dept. of Respiratory Medicine and Allergy at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg.
- 2012 Associate Professor (Docent) in Experimental Respiratory medicine, Gothenburg University.
- 2013 Board-certified specialist in Respiratory Medicine, Sweden.
- 2013 Associate Professor (Docent) in Respiratory Medicine, Gothenburg University.
- 2021 Associate Professor (Docent) in Respiratory Medicine, Karolinska Institutet.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
Commissions of trust
- ERS officer, Airway Diseases, Asthma, COPD and Chronic Cough Assembly 5 Secretary.
- Vice-chair in the steering committee of NSAN: Nordic Severe Asthma Network, which manages NORTHSTAR, the world's largest database on asthma.
- Member of the steering committee of SHARP: Severe Heterogeneous Asthma Research collaboration, Patient-centred European Respiratory Society Clinical Research Collaboration.
- Member of the steering committee of The Swedish National Airway Register.
- Member for EMBARC, the European Bronchiectasis Registry, a European Respiratory Society Clinical Research Collaboration.
- PI for EMBARC at Karolinska University Hospital.
- Associate editor on asthma section for Frontiers in Allergy.