Carl Otto Schell
Specialist Physician, Acting Consultant
- Department of Internal Medicine, Nyköping Hospital, Sörmland County, Sweden
- Health Systems & Policy, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet
- Centre for Clinical Research Sörmland, Eskilstuna, Uppsala University
My research interests are in the fields of global health, health systems, critical care and internal medicine. More specifically my focus is how to best use the potential of basic, feasible, low-cost actions in health care that are often overlooked in policy, research and medical practice.
My current projects are:
- Essential Emergency and Critical Care: developing a research programme around the concept which is defined as the care critically ill patients should receive in all hospitals in the world.
- The Critical Illness and Sepsis Prevalence and Outcome Study (CRISPOS). A point prevalence study in district and referral hospitals in Malawi, Sri Lanka and Sweden. All inpatients, regardless of speciality or location in the hospital, are examined on the same day. Vital signs are taken, and ongoing treatments recorded. Primary aims are to estimate the prevalence of critical illness, hospital mortality rates and the risk of death for critically ill patients. Secondary aims are an assessment of the quality of care and the predictive value of signs such as ability to walk, capillary refill time, early warning scores and danger signs.
Baker, T., Schell, C. O., Petersen, D. B., Sawe, H., Khalid, K., Mndolo, S., ... & Wallis, L. (2020). Essential care of critical illness must not be forgotten in the COVID-19 pandemic. The Lancet 2020 Apr 18;395(10232):1253-1254 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30793-5
Kayambankadzanja, R. K., Schell, C. O., Namboya, F., Phiri, T., Banda-Katha, G., Mndolo, S. K.,… & Baker, T. (2020). The Prevalence and Outcomes of Sepsis in Adult Patients in Two Hospitals in Kayambankadzanja, R. K., Schell, C. O., Namboya, F., Phiri, T., Banda-Katha, G., Mndolo, S. K., ... & Baker, T. (2020). The Prevalence and Outcomes of Sepsis in Adult Patients in Two Hospitals in Malawi. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 102(4), 896-901.
Hvarfner, A., Blixt, J., Schell, C. O., Castegren, M., Lugazia, E. R., Mulungu, M., ... & Baker, T. (2020). Vital Signs Directed Therapy for the Critically Ill: Improved Adherence to the Treatment Protocol Two Years after Implementation in an Intensive Care Unit in Tanzania. Emergency Medicine International, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/4819805
Kayambankadzanja RK, Schell CO, Nsanjama G, Mbingwani I, Kwazizira Mndolo S, Rylance J, et al. Inability to Walk Predicts Death among Adult Patients in Hospitals in Malawi. Emerg Med Int. 2019;2019.
Schell CO, Beane A, Kayambankadzanja RK, Khalid K, Haniffa R, Baker T. Global Critical Care: Add Essentials to the Roadmap. Annals of global health. 2019;85(1).
Schell CO, Wärnberg MG, Hvarfner A, Höög A, Baker U, Castegren M, Baker T. The global need for essential emergency and critical care. Critical Care. 2018 Dec;22(1):284.
Haniffa R, Beane A, Baker T, Riviello ED, Schell CO, Dondorp AM. Development and internal validation of the Simplified Mortality Score for the Intensive Care Unit (SMS‐ICU). Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica. 2018 Mar;62(3):407-8.
Baker T, Schell CO, Lugazia E, Blixt J, Mulungu M, Castegren M, Eriksen J, Konrad D. Vital Signs Directed Therapy: Improving Care in an Intensive Care Unit in a Low-Income Country. PLoS ONE 2015:10(12):e0144801.
Schell CO, Castegren M, Lugazia E, Blixt J, Mulungu M, Konrad D, Baker T. Severely deranged vital signs as triggers for acute treatment modifications on an intensive care unit in a low-income country. BMC research notes. 2015 Dec;8(1):313.
Baker T, Blixt J, Lugazia E, Schell CO, Mulungu M, Milton A, Castegren M, Eriksen J, Konrad D. Single Deranged Physiologic Parameters Are Associated With Mortality in a Low-Income Country. Crit Care Med. 2015:43(10):2171-9.
Serrander M, Schell CO. Erfarenheter från olika sjukhus – alltför ojämlik vård i Sverige. Läkartidningen. 2014;111:CTP7
Schell CO, Reilly M, Rosling H, Peterson S, Ekström AM. Socioeconomic determinants of infant mortality: a worldwide study of 152 low-, middle-, and high-income countries. Scand J Public Health 2007:35(3):288-97
Mogensen L, Olsson M, Schell CO. Marfans syndrom–diagnos för många specialiteter. Läkartidningen. 2000, 97: 464-468.
2014-18: Director of Resident training program, Department of Internal Medicine, Nyköpings Hospital
2009-13: Head of Internship Program, Department of Internal Medicine, Nyköping Hospital
Higher education degree
1997-2004 M.D. Karolinska Institutet
Diploma / Other
1995-1996 Certificat pratique de Langue Française, 1er Degré, Université Paul Valéry, Montpellier III
1994-1997 Studies in Law, Philosophy, French, Stockholm University