Senior lecturer/clinical position
2009- Senior Lecturer/Group Leader, Department of Clinical Science and Education, Södersjukhuset, Karolinska Institutet.
Researh Group: https://ki.se/en/kisos/the-neurocardiometabol-group
In February 2009 I was recruited to Karolinska Institutet to start up a preclinical stroke research group. I am responsible for planning, coordinating and executing work in the area of experimental stroke in diabetes.
July 2013- present, Project Coordinator in degree projects in medicine (Läkarprogrammet I medicin, 30hp). Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet. October 2013- present, Project Manager, Södersjukhuset, Internal medicine. The work aims at increasing collaborations and supervise PhD students within the unit and at developing translational projects within the cardiovascular diseases research area.
Stroke, Neurodegeneration and Diabetes
The focus is along two major research lines see also teh Research Group at See the Research Group at: https://ki.se/en/kisos/the-neurocardiometabol-group
- The identification of efficacious preclinical therapies for the treatment of stroke.
- The study of the cellular mechanisms at the basis of the neurological complications of diabetes.
Stroke affects several million people worldwide, of which a substantial proportion of cases present in patients suffering from diabetes. Diabetes is widespread and represents the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S. About 90 % of the medical and social costs associated with diabetes are dominated by care for macrovascular complications such as stroke. Alzheimer's disease, dementia and cognitive dysfunction are also ove-represnted in diabetes. However, the underlying mechanisms at the basis of this are still largely unknown.
Recent data published by our research group indicate that the activation of the glucagone-like receptor 1 (GLP-1R) is neuroprotective against stroke in normal and type 2 diabetic rodents.
We have also shown that a rat model of type 2 diabetes presents neuronal loss and neuroinflammation along aging. These results have the potential to help understanding how and when diabetes leads to neurodegeneration.
We also showed that diabetic glucolipotoxicity negatively impacts adult neural stem cells and that neuropeptides Galanin and PACAP can counteract diabetes-induced cell death.
Jan 2017-ongoing, Senior Lecturer, Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Science and Education, Södersjukhuset (KI SÖS)
July 2013- ongoing, Project Coordinator/Examiner in degree projects in medicine, Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, KI. The position involves reviewing the students’ work-plan, half time and final thesis, arrange seminars and examine the work
2015- ongoing Visiting Professor (1 week/year), Univ. of Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
2018 Assess the structure of examination of projects, Workshop, Karolinska Institutet
2013 Docent in neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet 2011 Course in "Assessment in Higher Education", Karolinska Institutet 2011 Basic Course in Education for University Teachers, Karolinska Institutet 2010 Introductory Doctoral Supervision Course, Karolinska Institutet 2010 Work environment issues and manager responsibilities , Karolinska Institutet 2009 Laboratory Animal Science (FELASA) certificate, Karolinska Institutet 2008 Applied Project Management Courses, Wenell Management AB, Stockholm 2007 Courses in Clinical Trials, Trial Form Support AB, Lund
1998 PhD in Neurobiology, University of Milan, Italy.
1992 University of Milan, Italy, Laurea and M.Sc. Biological Sciences
Academic honours, awards and prizes
Research grants and awards as PI
- Diabetesfonden; 2020-2021
- The Swedish Research Council (Vetenskasprådet); 2018-2021
- European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes/Sanofi European Diabetes Research Programme in Macrovascular Complications; 2019
- Award “Investigator Study IIS” Boehringer Ing. Sweden; 2018
- Konung Gustaf V:s och Drottning Victorias Frimurarestiftelse; 2012-2017
- Åhlén Stiftelse; 2012-2018
- O. E. och Edla Johanssons Stiftelse; 2016-2018
- Magnus Bergvalls Stiftelse; 2011-2016
- STROKE Riksförbundet; 2018-2020
- Diabetesfonden; 2014-2015
- Novo Nordisk Foundation; 2014
- Syskonen Svensson Stiftelse; 2017
- European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes; 2013
- Diabetes Wellness; 2010
- Stohnes stiftelse; 2010, 2012, 2015
- STROKE Riksförbundet; 2011-2014
- European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes; 2009