Affiliated to research
- C8 Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- MEB III
- as Affiliated to research
- H7 Department of Medicine, Huddinge
- Infektion och Hud
- as Affiliated to research
Senior consultant of Infectious Diseases at Karolinska University Hospital. Senior researcher affiliated to the Department of Medicine Huddinge, Unit of Infectious Diseases and Dermatology, Professor Sönnerborgs group and to the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at KI, Solna.
Since 2021 I am the Director of the National Quality Register of HIV (InfCareHIV)
My research is focused on epidemiological register-based studies, mainly on comorbidity in people living with HIV. Through linking of the Swedish National HIV Register InfCareHIV with other nationwide demographic and health registers my colleagues and I collect big population-based data. At KI I collaborate with among others the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at KI Solna, the Department of Laboratory Medicine, KI, and the Department of Medicine Solna.
I am especially interested in including women and migrants in my study populations as previous international HIV cohort studies are often dominated by white males.
Current projects on comorbidity
- HPV & HIV: HPV-related cancer in men by HIV-status.
- Covid-19 & HIV: Incidence, severity, mortality, and secondary effects of COVID-19 in Sweden by HIV- status
- Immunological non-responders: Epidemiology, comorbidity, and mortality in people with HIV, with particular focus on immunological non-responders
- Lymphoma & HIV: Nation-wide study of the incidence, risk, and survival of lymphoma-diagnosis by HIV-status
- Present assignments
- 2021–present Teacher at the Medical Education Program, Infectious Disease Course, KI
- 2019–present Teacher at the Master program of Global Health, KI
- 2022/2023 Main supervisor of Master student Josefin Nilsson, School of Global Health, New York University, USA
- 2022/2023. Main supervisor of Åsa Adler, medical student exam project (30 hp), "Prevalence and odds of treatment failure in people living with HIV in Sweden with particular focus on migrants"
- 2022/2023. Main supervisor of Annika Eriksson, medical student exam project (30 hp), "AIDS in the Swedish HIV cohort: register based study with follow-up since 1983"
- Former assignments
- Autumn 2022. Main supervisor of Sofia Dinh, medical student exam project (30 hp), “Incidence and risk of Kaposi sarcoma in Sweden by HIV status”
- Autumn 2022. Main supervisor of Sophie Ericsson, medical student exam project (30 hp), “Incidence and risk of lung cancer in Sweden by HIV status”
- Autumn 2021. Main supervisor of Isabela Möller, medical student exam project (30hp), “Severe COVID-19 in people living with and without HIV”
- 2016–2021 Director of studies of residents of Infectious Diseases (ST-läkare), Department of Infectious Diseases Västerås, Västmanland County Hospital
- 2018–2021 Director of studies of resident course in Scientific Methods (SK kurs i Vetenskapsmetodik), Centre for Clinical Research Västerås, Uppsala University
Education and previous positions
- 2018 PhD (dissertation 23d of November 2018) at MedH, Karolinska Institute. ”Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia in migrant women living with HIV”. Main supervisor Professor Anders Sönnerborg, Co-supervisors Professor Joakim Dillner, Professor Pär Sparén, Dr Kristina Elfgren. Opponent Dr Clifford, International Agency for Research on Cancer, WHO
- 2019–2021 Postdoc (50%) at the Centre of Clinical Research Västerås, Västmanland County, Uppsala University
- 2014–2021. Senior Consultant, Department of Infectious Diseases, Västmanland County Hospital Västerås
- 2016–2021. Director of studies of Residents of Infectious Diseases (ST-läkare), Department of Infectious Diseases Västerås, Västmanland County Hospital
- 2009–2014. Specialist of Infectious Diseases, Department of Infectious Diseases, Västmanland County Hospital Västerås
- 2002–2009. Resident, Department of Infectious Diseases, Västmanland County Hospital Västerås
- 2000–2002. Intern, Hospital of Västervik
- 2000 University Medical degree, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linköping University
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- 2022–present. Member of Forskarutbildningsnämnden, MedH, KI
- 2021–present. Member of the Research Committee (FoU-råd) at the Department of Infectious Diseases Karolinska University Hospital
- 2021–present. Karolinska University Hospital representative in the Stockholm Regional Committee for HIV/STI and Hepatitis prevention.
- 2018–present. Secretary and Convener of HIV expert writing group for Swedish National Guidelines of HIV treatment published by the Swedish Reference group for Antiretroviral Therapy
- 2011–present. Co-writer of HIV expert writing group for the Swedish National Guidelines of HIV treatment, published by the Swedish Reference group for Antiretroviral Therapy
- 2021–present. Member of the Reference group for Quality Register representatives, Swedish Associations of Local Authorities and Regions (SKR)
- 2021–present. Member of Steering Committee for Research School of Clinical Therapy Research, KI
- 2022–present. SPUR-inspector. Assessment and inspection of infectious diseases specialist training programmes (Specialistutbildningsrådet)
- 2022. Supervisor for best medical student master thesis, Sofia Dinh
- 2022 & 2021. Pedagogical prize, voted by the students at the Course of Infectious Diseases at the Medical Education Programme, KI
- 2021 Project “HPV in women living with HIV” selected by the Swedish Research Council and the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions as “Good example of research based on Quality Registers”
- 2021 Member of the focus group “Integrating basic education with doctoral education and research”, MedH, KI
- 2018–2021 Director of Research and Education at the Department of Infectious Diseases Västerås, Västmanland County Hospital
- 2014 Prize for best abstract Nordic HIV Conference 2014