Senior lecturer/specialist physician
Daniel C Andersson is an associate professor in physiology, senior lecturer at the Karolinska Institute (KI). He is a consultant cardiologist at the Karolinska University Hospital, where he sub-specializes in heart failure cardiology.
Daniel C Andersson is the principal investigator of a translational research laboratory that studies heart and skeletal muscle dysfunction in the context of inflammatory diseases, eg to study how rheumatic diseases affects muscle and heart function. A particular interest is to investigate mechanisms of muscle weakness in inflammatory myopathy. The laboratory uses experimental physiology and molecular biology tools to investigate disease mechanisms. I clinical studies Daniel C Andersson investigates how inflammatory/rheumatic diseases affects the risk for heart failure.
Daniel C Andersson is the course director for the integrative pre-clinical exam on the medical doctor (MD) program. He is a faculty representative in the steering board for the MD program, and the chairman of the steering group for the local admission to the MD program at KI.
- 2005. MD degree, Karolinska Institutet.
- 2009. PhD in physiology, Karolinska Institutet.
- 2009-11. Postdoctoral fellowship, Columbia University, NY, USA.
- 2013. License to practice medicine in Sweden.
- 2017. Associate professor (docent) in physiology, Karolinska Institutet.
- 2019. Specialist physician in cardiology, Karolinska University Hospital.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Prize for excellent thesis supervision on the medical doctor program, 2019.
- Harald & Greta Jeanssons foundation prize for young researcher and group leader, 2018. http://jeanssonsstiftelser.se/pristagare/
- Young investigator award - for oral presentation at Scandinavian Physiological Society Annual Meeting, 2008.