Research focus on physical activity and obesity in children and adults. PI for an RCT on wellbeing and physical activity after obesity surgery. Developing new techniques to assess physical activity, e.g. artificial intelligence based systems. Great interest in preschool/school physical activity and health related policies.
Main supervisor for 3 doctoral students.
- PI for a RCT investigating effects on wellbeing and levels of physical activity from a dissonance-based group therapy given to women after obesity surgery.
- Conducting an app-based lifestyle/physical activity intervention with the aim to increase wellbeing and levels of physical activity among individuals with mobility disability.
- PI for a school based intervention aiming to increase levels of physical activity throughout the school day.
- Developing a mobile app (in collaboration with the Stockholm County Council) to assess levels of physical activity in real-time on a nation-wide scale.
- PI for an observation study on associations between outdoor time during preschool hours and preschool policies with objectively measured levels of physical activity in children and preschool teachers.
Medical program, Karolinska Institutet semester 1 and 11
>700 hours of education 2012-2019
Course leader for a PhD course at Karolinska Institutet (obesity in man), 2017-2018
Degree of Doctor, Medical Sciences
Thesis defense 2014-12-11, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet
2004 - 2005: English, Stockholm University, Sweden
2005 - 2010: Master degree in Biomedicine, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
2009: Master thesis ”Assessing anticancer drug effects in multicellular spheroids and in vivo; combination treatment, problems with penetration and re-growth of tumor cells”
Academic honours, awards and prizes
GRANTS (MAIN APPLICANT)
- 2013 Fernströms Stiftelse Karolinska Institutet, 45.000 SEK. For epigenetic analyses comparing differences in the methylome between siblings born before and after maternal bariatric surgery.
- 2015 Fernströms Stiftelse Karolinska Institutet, 60.000 SEK. For analysis of raw accelerometer data on physical activity and sedentary behavior.
- 2015 NFV (Research School of Caring Sciences) Karolinska Institutet. Funding for a PhD student 2016-2020. 1.128 000 SEK.
- 2015 VR (Scientific Council). Has a dissonance-based psychosocial intervention effects on obese women’s quality of life, eating behavior, physical activity and sedentary behavior of obese women after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery? Qualitative and quantitative studies. 2.100 000 SEK.
- 2016 ALF (Stockholm County Council) Has a dissonance-based psychosocial intervention effects on obese women’s quality of life, eating behavior, physical activity and sedentary behavior of obese women after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery? 400.000 SEK.
- 2017. Centrum för Idrottsforskning (CIF). Physical activity throughout the school day: a pilot randomized controlled trial. 165.000 SEK.
- 2018. ALF (Stockholm County Council). Effects on quality of life and physical activity: a randomized post-surgery dissonance-based intervention for obese women treated by Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. 600.000 SEK
- 2018. Centrum för Idrottsforskning (CIF). Physical activity throughout the school day and its effect on academic performance: a pilot study. 150.000 SEK
PhD-Supervision (main supervisor)
Sofie Johansson, registered 2016-05-12, Karolinska Institutet
Fanny Sellberg, registered 2014-12-10, Karolinska Institutet
Main supervisor of >5 master students