Affiliated to research
Elena Raffetti is a medical doctor specialized in public health with a strong interest in epidemiological research and biostatistics.
Elena completed a PhD in epidemiology (2020) under the supervision of Professor Maria Rosaria Galanti, focusing on mental health problems and tobacco use among adolescents. Elena previously completed specialty training in public health medicine at the University of Brescia, Italy (2016, Prof Francesco Donato).
She is a dedicated researcher and passionate about public health epidemiology and application of statistical methods. She strives to contribute to a collaborative spirit and transparency in academia as a breeding ground for new research ideas, high-quality teaching and research.
Her postdoctoral work is performed at the Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Cardiovascular Epidemiology Unit, University of Cambridge (Dr Angela Wood), and at the Department of Earth Sciences and Centre of Natural Hazards and Disaster Science, Uppsala University (Professor Giuliano Di Baldassarre).
Main research lines
- adverse pregnancy outcomes following COVID-19 infection within the CVD-COVID-UK consortium
- epidemic risk perceptions in Italy and Sweden during the COVID-19 pandemic
- relationship between the alteration of stress systems, substance use and mental health problems among adolescents, employing multiple sources of data and measures of biomarkers of stress.
Elena has been working with different teams, developing several ongoing and productive collaborations in clinical and community settings.
- Raffetti E, Landgren AJ, Andersson F, Donato F, Lavebratt C, Forsell Y, Galanti MR. Cortisol concentration as predictor of tobacco initiation in adolescents. Results from a population-based Swedish cohort. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2020 Oct 7:S1054-139X(20)30495-X.
- Raffetti E, Donato F, Forsell Y, Galanti MR. Longitudinal association between tobacco use and the onset of depressive symptoms among Swedish adolescents: the Kupol cohort study. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2019 May;28(5):695-704.
- Galanti MR, Hultin H, Dalman C, Engström K, Ferrer-Wreder L, Forsell Y, Karlberg M, Lavebratt C, Magnusson C, Sundell K, Zhou J, Almroth M, Raffetti E. School environment and mental health in early adolescence - a longitudinal study in Sweden (KUPOL). BMC Psychiatry. 2016 Jul 16;16:243.
- Raffetti E, Donato F, Speziani F, Scarcella C, Gaia A, Magoni M. Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) exposure and cardiovascular, endocrine and metabolic diseases: A population-based cohort study in a North Italian highly polluted area. Environ Int. 2018 Nov;120:215-222.
- Raffetti E, Donat-Vargas C, Mentasti S, Chinotti A, Donato F. Association between exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls and risk of hypertension: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Chemosphere. 2020 Sep;255:126984.
List of pubblications
2011 Degree in Medicine. University of Brescia.
2012 Licensed to practice Medicine in Italy
2016 Medical specialization in Public Health and Preventive Medicine. University of Brescia.
2020 Doctoral Degree in Medical Science, Epidemiology. Karolinska Institutet.