2019-present: Assoc. Professor of Metabolism (Docent), Karolinska Inst.
2014-2018: Asst. Professor, Karolinska Inst.
2011-2013: PostDoc at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
2011: Ph.D. Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.
2006: MSc. Stockholm Research School in Molecular Life Science.
2005: MSc. Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
We are mainly focusing on the following overarching topics:
1. Metabolic Adaptations to Oncogenes and Tumor Suppressors.
2. Metabolic Signal Transduction.
3. Molecular Regulators of Metabolic Heterogeneity
Research Group ' Cellular Metabolism:
Boxi Zhang, PhD, PostDoc.
Lyudmila Krassikova, PhD, PostDoc.
Divya Nagarajan, PhD, PostDoc.
Vagelis Samakidis, MSc, Lab technician.
Dawn E Comstock, MD-PhD student, Harvard Medical School. Yiwei Ai, MD, research student
Dominique Smith, Masters student, Uppsala University.
Wirood Aldjezani, Masters Student, Uppsala University.
Select Original Publications:
1. Zhang B, Zheng A, Hydbring P, Ambroise G, Ouchida AT, Goiny M, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg, H, Norberg E. PHGDH Defines a metabolic subtype in lung adenocarcinomas with poor prognosis. Cell Reports 2017 Jun 13;19(11):2289-2303.
Selected as 'Issue Highlight' by Cell Reports.
2. Eriksson M, Ambroise G, Ouchida AT, Queiroz AL, Smith D, Gimenez-Cassina A, Iwanicki MP, Muller PA, Norberg E#, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H#. The effect of Mutant p53 Proteins on Glycolysis and Mitochondrial Metabolism.
Mol Cell Biol. 2017 Nov 28;37(24) # Co-senior author.
Selected for the Cover volume 37, issue 24 by Mol Cell Biol..
3. Zhang B, Tornmalm J, Widengren J, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H, Norberg E. Characterization of the Role of the Malate Dehydrogenases to Lung Tumor Cell Survival. Journal of Cancer 2017; 8(11):2088-2096.
4. Norberg E, Stanley IA, Zhou F, Ficarro S, Chapuy B, Chen L, Rodig S, Shipp MA, Marto JA, Danial NN. Differntial Contribution of the Mitochondrial Translation Pathway to the Survival of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma Subsets. Cell Death Differentiation. 2017 Feb;24(2):251-262 .
1. Queiroz AL, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H, Norberg E. Resistant to Targeted Therapy - Aim for Metabolic Liabilities. Theranostics 2018; 8(7): 2061-2063.
2. Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H, Ouchida A, Norberg E. The role of Mitochondria in Metabolism and Cell Death. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. (2017) Jan 15;482(3):426-431
As of July/August 2017, this Review received enough citations to place it in the top 1% of the academic field of Biology & Biochemistry (Web of Science).
3. Stanley I, Ribeiro S, Gimenez-Cassina A, Norberg E, Danial NN. Changing appetites: The adaptive advantages of fuel choice. Trends in Cell Biology. 2014 Feb;24(2):118-27
Master of Science Project,
-Profiling of Post translational modifications in tumor cells. (start 2019-2020.)
PhD student project:
1 PhD student position available from end of 2020 or begining of 2021.
2 positions available.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Dimitris N Chorafas Prize - for best Ph.D. thesis at the Karolinska Institute 2011.
- The Lennart Philipson Award 2015 - Awarded biannuallly to one researcher at the Karolinska Institute.