Eva Joelsson Alm
I am a specialist nurse in intensive care and have a PhD in medical science since 2012.
I am associate professor at the Department of Clinical Research and Education, Södersjukhuset (KISÖS) and work as a senior lecturer and as an university nurse at the Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Södersjukhuset, with clinical work at the intensive care unit.
In my educational assignment at Karolinska Institutet, I am course coordinator, teacher and examiner for courses within the specialist nursing programmes and the undergraduate study programme of nursing.
I am very interested in pedagogy and have extensive experience of supervision at master's and doctoral level. At the moment, I am main supervisor for one doctoral student and co-supervisor for ten doctoral students.
I am a clinical researcher in the field of acute care with a focus on intensive care and nursing care at emergency hospitals. The research area also includes urinary tract problems in connection with hospital care and person-centered care after surgery.
Some of my current research projects are:
- Treatment of and follow-up after intensive care due to Covid-19. This includes studies of health-related quality of life, physical function and hallucinations after Covid-19, as well as evaluation of different doses of thrombosis prophylaxis. A recent doctoral project will explore patient safety in the context of a pandemic.
- Extended physiotherapy after intensive care
- Implementation of evidence-based care to prevent, detect and treat urinary retention in connection with hip surgery - Onset Prevention of urinary retention in Orthopedic Nursing and rehabilitation - the OPTION trial.
- The risk of symptomatic bacteriuria and urinary tract problems after removal of an indwelling urinary catheter
- External validation of the National Early Warning Score 2 (NEWS2)
- Person-centered care after surgical treatment of window disease - Follow-up after surgical treatment for intermittent claudication - the FASTIC study.