An eclectic, Ph.D. student in bioinformatics interested in genome architecture and tumor heterogeneity. Keen sketcher, in love with Japanese and Italian cooking.
Ph.D. Student at Bienko's Laboratory for the Quantitative Biology of the Nucleus. Here, I can live out my passion for bioimaging, sequencing, and coding to uncover the nuclear 3D architecture principles and characterize its influence on gene expression.
My interests also include computational oncology, especially tumor heterogeneity, on which I focused my MSc Thesis under the supervision of Prof. Francesca Demichelis (CIBIO, University of Trento, IT).
Being passionate about science divulgation, from 2013 to 2015 I was the local coordinator for the annual popular science event 'Italia Unita per la Scienza' in Trento (IT), where we aimed at conveying how everyone can easily approach science and what its benefits are.
As a bioinformatician, I use my skills in web design and programming to develop user-friendly interfaces and computational tools.
I have the honor to be the Secretary of the Doctoral Student Association and Ph.D. student representative for the MBB Department for the year 2020.
- Gelali, Eleni, et al. "iFISH is a publically available resource enabling versatile DNA FISH to study genome architecture." Nature communications 10.1 (2019): 1-15.
- Gelali, Eleni, et al. "An Application-Directed, Versatile DNA FISH Platform for Research and Diagnostics." CpG Islands. Humana Press, New York, NY, 2018. 303-333.
- Rubin, Mark A., Gabriele Girelli, and Francesca Demichelis. "Genomic correlates to the newly proposed grading prognostic groups for prostate cancer." European urology 69.4 (2016): 557-560.
- Digiacomo, Fabio, et al. "Ethylene-producing bacteria that ripen fruit." ACS synthetic biology 3.12 (2014): 935-938.
- Francis, Ashwanth Christopher, et al. "Second generation imaging of nuclear/cytoplasmic HIV-1 complexes." AIDS research and human retroviruses 30.7 (2014): 717-726.
- 2016-2019 - Organic Chemistry Laboratory Assistant to first-year Biomedicine BSc students, MBB (KI, SE).
- 2013-2014 - Tutor on physics, biology, statistics, and organic and inorganic chemistry, to first-year students of BSc in Biomolecular Science and Technology, CIBIO (University of Trento, IT).
- 2015-present - PhD Student at Bienko Laboratory for the Quantitative Biology of the Nucleus.
- 2012-2014 - MSc in Cellular and Molecular Biotechnologies at CIBIO, University of Trento (IT). Thesis: A Web Graphical Interface to Visualize and Analyze Tumor Evolution Networks.
- 2009-2012 - BSc in Biomolecular Science and Technology at CIBIO, University of Trento (IT). Thesis: Development of a Computational Approach to Analyze Images of HIV Infected Cells.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- 2014, Feb - Summer Fellowship Grant offered by the Giovanni-Armenise Harvard Foundation
- 2013, Nov - "Best Poster" award at the iGEM 2013 World Championship.
- 2013, Oct - Golden Medal at the iGEM 2013 European Jamboree.
- 2011, Sep - Scholarship offered by the FestivalFilosofia Consortium of Modena (IT).