Telephone:+46-(0)8-524 837 67
I studied practical philosophy (ethics) at Uppsala University and defended my thesis in 2002. Since 2002 I have worked with medical ethics, first in Uppsala and then at Karolinska Institutet, in particular ethical matters relating to medical research, but also clinical medical ethics. I became full professor at KI in 2015.
Selection of publications
- Helgesson G, Holm S, Bredahl L, Hofmann B, Juth N. Misuse of co-authorship in medical PhD theses in Scandinavia: A questionnaire survey. Journal of Academic Ethics. 2022.
- Belfrage S, Helgesson G, Lynöe N. Trust in digital privacy in healthcare: a cross-sectional descriptive study of trust and attitudes towards uses of electronic health data among the general public in Sweden. BMC Med Ethics 2022;23(1):19.
- Helgesson G, Radun I, Radun J, Nilsonne G. Editors publishing in their own journals – a systematic review of prevalence and a discussion of normative aspects. Learned Publishing 2022;35:229–240.
- Helgesson G, Bülow W. Research integrity and hidden value conflicts. Journal of Academic Ethics 2021.
- Helgesson G, Master Z, Bülow W. How to handle co-authorship when not everyone’s research contributions make it into the paper. Sci Eng Ethics 2021;27(2):27.
- Helgesson G. What is a reasonable framework for new non-validated treatments? Theor Med Bioeth 2020;41(5-6):239-245.
- Belfrage S, Lynöe N, Helgesson G. Willingness to share yet maintain influence: a cross-sectional study on attitudes in Sweden to the use of electronic health data. Public Health Ethics 2021;14(1):23–34.
- Helgesson G, Ernstsson O, Åström M, Burström K. Whom should we ask? A systematic literature review of the arguments regarding the most accurate source of information for valuation of health states. Qual Life Res 2020;29(6):1465-1482.
- Bodegård H, Helgesson G, Juth N, Olsson D, Lynøe N. Challenges to patient centredness – a comparison of patient and doctor experiences from primary care. BMC Fam Pract 2019 Jun 15;20(1):83.
- Helgesson G. Can and should the research–therapy distinction be maintained? Reflections in the light of innovative last-resort treatment. Research Ethics 2019;15(2):1-14.
- Helgesson G, Bülow W, Eriksson S, Godskesen T. Should the deceased be listed as authors? Journal of Medical Ethics 2019;45(5):331-338.
- Bülow W, Helgesson G. Criminalization of scientific misconduct. Medicine Health Care and Philosophy 2019;22:245–252.
- Helgesson G, Eriksson S. Authorship order. Learned Publishing 2019;32:106–112.
- Helgesson G, Juth N, Schneider J, Lövtrup M, Lynøe N. Misuse of coauthorship in medical theses in Sweden. J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics 2018 Oct;13(4):402-411.
- Bülow W, Helgesson G. Hostage authorship and the problem of dirty hands. Research Ethics 2018:14(1): 1–9.
- Helgesson G, Eriksson S. Responsibility for scientific misconduct in collaborative papers. Med Health Care Philos 2018 Sep;21(3):423-430.
- Eriksson S, Helgesson G. The false academy: predatory publishing in science and bioethics. Medicine, Healthcare and Philosophy 2017 Jun;20(2):163-170.
- Helgesson G. Scientific authorship and intellectual involvement in the research – should they coincide? Medicine, Healthcare and Philosophy 2015;18(2):171-175.
- Helgesson G, Eriksson S. Plagiarism in research. Medicine, Healthcare and Philosophy 2015;18(1):91–101.
- Helgesson G. Autonomy, the right not to know, and the right to know personal research results: what rights are there and who should decide about exceptions? Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 2014;42(1):28–37.