Affiliated to research
I have been working in the field of global child health since 2004. I did my PhD on the management of pediatric pneumonia symptoms in Uganda (Kampala and Iganga/Mayuge) and my postdoc on causes of non-malarial febrile illness with Joint Malaria Programme and London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene in Tanzania (Muheza).
I am the principal investigator of the SugarFACT study - a clinical trial at two hospitals in Malawi with Malawi College of Medicine as a collaborator, to determine the mortality impact of a changed treatment cut off level for hypoglycemia in pediatric emergencies. Associated studies involve factors associated with pediatric dysglycemia and facility emergency management practises. I am a pediatric doctor and a clinical research fellow at Astrid Lindgren Children's hospital in Stockholm. I am also a researcher and supervisor within the Makerere-Sweden collaboration.
My PhD and postdoctoral work concentrated on the management and diagnostic issues of common childhood illnesses in sub-Saharan Africa and how the recent role out of rapid diagnostic tests for malaria influences the diagnosis and treatment of other causes of pediatric febrile illness. More recent interests, and the main focus of my current research, involve the quality of care and health facility emergency management of severely sick children in low-income countries.
- Medical Doctor Karolinska Institutet 2007
- PhD Global Health Karolinska Institutet 2009, Thesis title: Beyond fever – Managing children with pneumonia symptoms in malaria endemic Uganda. ISBN 978-91-7409-272-1.
- Postdoctoral research fellow at Joint Malaria Programme, Tanzania/London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene /Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 2011-2014
- Resident in Paediatrics, Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital 2012 - 2019
- Clinical research fellow, Department of Public Health Science and Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital, Karolinska Institutet/University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden, 2015 - 2019
- Visiting clinical research fellow, Department of Paediatrics, Queen Elisabeth Central Hospital, Malawi 2016-2017
- Associate Professor in Global Health, 2018-
- Paediatrician, 2019 -
- Coordinator of regional partnership in child health between Stockholm Region, Sweden and Jinja City, Uganda 2021-