Over the recent years, my lab has explored therapeutic approaches by stimulating the cell’s own quality control mechanisms to induce the degradation of targeted pathogenic proteins to prevent their aberrant accumulation. The main focus of our research is dedicated on developing a new field of `Controlled Proteostasis' by studying the autophagy-lysosomal pathway, especially CMA (Chaperone-mediated Autophagy) in human pathologies.
Our ultimate goal is to understanding how pathogenic proteins can be eliminated from the cells. In particular our research focuses on oncogenic targeting in relation to cancer biology.
Currently, our main focus is on the following overarching projects:
1. To understand the underlying activation mechanism of CMA and its protein targeting.
2. To understand the role of CMA in human disorders.
2. To explore the tumor suppressive role of activating CMA in human cancer.
Yong Shi, PostDoc,
Merve Kacal,PhD student.
Ellen Olerup, Medical Student
- PostDoctoral researchers
- PhD student
We are seeking for a highly motivated, creative and innovative postdoctoral scientist.
We welcome applications from well-qualified Masters students.
Dr. Yuqing Hao, Dr. Amanda T. Ouchida, Dr. Gorbatchev Ambroise, Dr. Mathilda Eriksson
Dr. Adi Zheng, Dr. Tao Cui, Msc. Kristin Uth, Msc. Davide Chiesi
1. The deubiquitinase JOSD2 is a positive regulator of glucose metabolism. Krassikova L, Zhang B, Nagarajan D, Queiroz AL, Kacal M, Samakidis E, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H, Norberg E. Cell Death Differ 2020 Oct;(ahead of print).
2. Systematic analysis reveals a functional role for STAMBPL1 in the epithelial-mesenchymal transition process across multiple carcinomas. Ambroise G, Yu TT, Zhang B, Kacal M, Hao Y, Queiroz AL, Ouchida AT, Lindskog C, Norberg E, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H. Br J Cancer. 2020 Sep;123(7):1164-1177
3. Targetome Analysis of Chaperone-Mediated Autophagy in Cancer Cells. Hao Y, Kacal M, Ouchida AT, Zhang B, Norberg N, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H. Autophagy. 2019 Sep;15(9):1558-1571
4. USP10 regulates the stability of the EMT-transcription factor Slug/SNAI2. Ouchida AT, Kacal M, Zheng A, Ambroise G, Zhang B, Norberg E, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018 Aug 25;502(4):429-434
5. Resistant to Targeted Therapy - Aim for Metabolic Liabilities.Queiroz AL, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H, Norberg E. Theranostics 2018; 8(7): 2061-2063
6. The effect of Mutant p53 Proteins on Glycolysis and Mitochondrial Metabolism. Eriksson M, Ambroise G, Ouchida AT, Queiroz AL, Smith D, Gimenez-Cassina A, Iwanicki MP, Muller PA, Norberg E, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H. Mol Cell Biol. 2017 Nov 28;37(24)
7. PHGDH Defines a metabolic subtype in lung adenocarcinomas with poor prognosis.Zhang B, Zheng A, Hydbring P, Ambroise G, Ouchida AT, Goiny M, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg, H*, Norberg E*. Cell Reports 2017 Jun 13;19(11):2289-2303. * Co-corresponding
8. Degradation of HK2 by Chaperone-Mediated Autophagy promotes Metabolic Catastrophe and Cell Death. Xia X, Najafov A, Geng J, Han X, Galan-Acosta L, Shan B, Zhang, Norberg N, Zhang, Pan L, Liu, Coloff JL, Ofengeim D, Zhu H, Wu, Cai, Yates J, Yuan J, Vakifahmetoglu-Norberg H. Journal of Cell Biology. 2015 Aug 31;210(5):705-16.