Jahangir A.M. Khan
Affiliated to research
Professor Jahangir A. M. Khan is affiliated to the Health Economics and Policy Unit and a Course Director at the Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics of Karolinska Institutet.
Professor Jahangir A. M. Khan of the University of Gothenburg, is an affiliated researcher to the Health Economics and Policy Research Unit of the Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics at Karolinska Institutet. Jahangir is a Course Director of the MSc program in Health Economics, Policy and Management. He teaches health economics for undergraduate and post-graduate students and supervise MSc and PhD students. His research focuses on health system economics and global health economics for contributing to achieving Universal Health Coverage.
Professor Khan had his basic education (BSc and MSc) in Economics from Stockholm University and later completed PhD from Karolinska Institutet in Health Systems Research with Health Economics track. He worked at the department of Public Health Sciences and Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics of Karolinska Institutet as a Researcher; at icddr,b (an international health research institute in Bangladesh) as an International Scientist and head of the Health Economics Unit and at Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine in the United Kingdom as a Senior Lecturer before joining the University of Gothenburg in 2020. Khan Adjunct Professor of James P Grant School of Public Health at Brac University in Bangladesh.
Jahangir's research and academic experiences have significantly focused on applied health economics covering healthcare financing, economic evaluation of health interventions, determinants of utilisation of healthcare, equity in health & healthcare, illness and poverty as well as financial risk protection for Universal Health Coverage (UHC). His research strongly addresses Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Jahangir applies health econometrics extensively in his research.
- Ahmed S, Dorina F, Satter SM, Sarker AR, Sultana M, Gastanaduy PA, Parashar U, Tateh JE, Gurley ES, Khan JAM. 2021. James D. HeffelfingeraThe economic burden of rotavirus hospitalization among children < 5 years of age in selected hospitals in Bangladesh, Vaccine (accepted).
- Sultana MS, Khan AH, Hossain S, Islam T, Hasan MT, Ahmed HU, Li Z, Khan JAM. 2021. The Association Between Financial Hardship and Mental Health Difficulties Among Adult Wage Earners During the COVID-19 Pandemic in Bangladesh: Findings From a Cross-Sectional Analysis. Front. Psychiatry, 20 September 2021. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2021.635884
- Ahmed S, Hasan MZ, Ali N, Ahmed MW, Haq ME, Sabnam S, Chowdhury M, Gahan B, Bousquet C, Khan JAM, Islam Z. 2021. Effectiveness of Health Voucher Scheme and Micro-Health Insurance Scheme to Support the Poor and Extreme Poor in Selected Urban Areas of Bangladesh – An Assessment using a mixed-method approach. Plos One (accepted).
- Sultana R, Luby SP, Gurley ES, Rimi NA, Swarna ST, Khan JAM, Nahar N, Ghosh PK, Howlader SR, Kabir H, Khan S, Jensen PKM. 2021. Cost of illness for severe and non-severe diarrhea borne by households in a low-income urban community of Bangladesh: a cross-sectional study. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases. (accepted)
- Ahmed S, Ahmed MW, Hasan MZ, Mehdi GG, Islam Z, Rehnberg C, Niessen LW, Khan JAM. 2021. Assessing the incidence of catastrophic health expenditure and impoverishment from out-of-pocket payments and their determinants in Bangladesh: evidence from the nationwide Household Income and Expenditure Survey 2016. Int Health. 2021 Apr 6:ihab015. doi: 10.1093/inthealth/ihab015. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33823538. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33823538/
- Ahmed S, Sarma H, Hasan Z, Rahman M, Ahmed MW, Islam MA, Wouabe ED, Mbuya MNN, Ahmed T, Khan JAM. 2020. Cost-effectiveness of a Market-Based Home-fortification of Food with Micronutrient Powder Programme in Bangladesh, Public Health Nutrition 1-12. doi:10.1017/S1368980020003602.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33118899/
- Alatawi A, Niessen WL, Khan JAM. 2020. Determinants of Technical Efficiency in Public Hospitals: The Case of Saudi Arabia, Health Econ Rev [accepted]
- Reed-Embleton H, Arambepola S, Dixon S, Maldonado BN, Premawardena A, Arambepola M, Khan JAM, Allen S. 2020. A cost-of-illness analysis of β-Thalassaemia major in children in Sri Lanka – experience from a tertiary level teaching hospital. BMC Pediatr 20, 257 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12887-020-02160-3.
- Ahmed S, Khanam F, Ahmed S, Reza S, Chowdhury A, Islam MA, Khan JAM, Rahman M. 2020. Estimating catastrophic costs due to pulmonary tuberculosis in Bangladesh, J Epi and Global Health [accepted].
- Sarker AR, Islam Z, Sultana M, Sheikh N, Mahumud RA, Islam MT, Van Der Meer R, Morton A, Khan AI, Clemens JD, Qadri F, Khan JAM. 2020. Willingness to pay for oral cholera vaccines in urban Bangladesh. PLoS ONE 15(4): e0232600. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0232600
- Ahmed S, Sarker AR, Sultana M, Roth F, Mahumud RA, Kamruzzaman M, Hasan MZ, Mirelman AJ, Islam Z, Niessen LW, Rehnberg C, Khan AKA, Gyr N, Khan JAM. 2019. Does Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance Scheme affect the Utilization of Medically Trained Providers and Out-of-pocket Payments among Ready-Made Garment Workers in Bangladesh? - a Case-Control Study, BMJ Open 10:e030298. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2019-030298
- Alatawi A. Niessen L. Khan JAM. 2019. Efficiency evaluation of public hospitals in Saudi Arabia: An application of Data Envelopment Analysis. BMJ Open BMJ Open 2020;10:e031924. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-031924. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31932390
- Sichali JM, Khan JAM, Gama E, Madan J, Banda HT, Bello GAF, Namakhoma I, Bongololo G, Thomson R, Malmborg R, Stenberg B, Squire SB. 2019. Direct costs of illness of patients with chronic cough in rural Malawi – experiences from Dowa and Ntchisi districts. PLoS One. 2019 Dec 31;14(12):e0225712. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0225712. eCollection 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31891576
- Khan JAM, Ahmed S, Sultana M, Sarker AR, Chakrovorty S, Rahman MH, Islam Z, Rehnberg C, Niessen LW. 2019. The effect of a Community-Based Health Insurance on the Out-of-pocket Payments for Utilizing Medically Trained Providers in Bangladesh, Int Health 00-1-12. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31782795
- Ahmed S, Hasan MZ, Laokri S, Jannat Z, Ahmed MW, Dorin F, Vargas V, Khan JAM. 2019. Technical efficiency of public district hospitals in Bangladesh: a data envelopment analysis, Cost Eff Resour Alloc 17:15. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31367193
- Ashraf H, Alam NH, Sultana M, Jahan SA, Begum N, Farzana S, Chisti MJ, Kamal M, Shamsuzzaman A, Ahmed T, Khan JAM, Fuchs GJ, Duke T, Gyr N. 2019. Day clinic versus hospital care of pneumonia and severe malnutrition in children under five: a randomized trial, Trop Med & Int Health. 24(7):922-931. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31046165
- Mahumud R, Alamgir N, Hossain T, Baruwa E, Sultana M, Gow J, Alam K, Ahmed S, Khan JAM. 2019. Women's Preferences for Maternal Healthcare Services in Bangladesh: Evidence from Discrete Choice Experiment. J Clinic Med, Jan 23;8(2). pii: E132. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30678044
- Khan JAM, Ahmed S, Chen T, Tomeny E, Niessen L. 2019. A Transparent Universal Health Coverage Index with Decomposition by Socioeconomic Groups: Application in Asian and African Settings, Appl Health Econ Health Policy. Jun;17(3):399-410. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30880358
- Ahmed S, Hasan Z, MacLennan M, Farzana D, Ahmed MW, Hasan MM, Hasan SM, Islam MT, Khan JAM. 2019. Measuring the efficiency of health systems in Asia: A data envelopment analysis, BMJ Open, Mar 27;9(3):e022155. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30918028
- Sarker AR, Sultana M, Ahmed S, Mahumud RA, Morton A, Khan JAM. 2018. Clients’ experience and satisfaction with healthcare services in a Community Based Health Insurance Program in Bangladesh, Int J Environ Res and Publ Health. Aug 2;15(8). pii: E1637. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30072623
- Sarker AR, Sultana M, Ali N, Akram R, Alam K, Khan JAM, Morton A. 2018. Cost of caregivers for treating hospitalized diarrheal patients in Bangladesh, Trop. Med. Infect. Dis. Dec 26;4(1). pii: E5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30587776
- Ahmed S, Sarker AR, Sultana M, Dorin F, Ahmed W, Rahman H, Islam Z, Mirelman A, Rehnberh C, Niessen L, Khan JAM. 2018. The Impact of Community-Based Health Insurance on the Utilization of Medically Trained Healthcare Providers among Informal Workers in Bangladesh, Plos One 13(7): Jul 11;13(7):e0200265. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29995899
- Mirelman AJ, Trujillo AJ , Niessen LW, Ahmed S, Khan JAM, Peters DH. 2018. Household Coping Strategies after an Adult Non-Communicable Disease Death in Bangladesh, Int J Health Plan and Mgt, Jan;34(1):e203-e218. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30187582
- Ahmed S, Sarker AR, Sultana M, Chakrovorty S, Hasan MZ, Mirelman AJ, Khan JAM. 2018. Adverse Selection in Community Based Health Insurance among Informal Workers in Bangladesh: An EQ-5D Assessment. Int J Environ Res and Public Health, 15(2). pii: E242. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29385072
- Khan AI, Levin A, Chao DL, DeRoeck D, Dimitrov DT, Khan JAM, Islam MS, Ali M, Islam MT, Sarker AR, Clemens JD, Qadri F. 2018. The impact and cost-effectiveness of controlling cholera through the use of oral cholera vaccines in urban Bangladesh: a disease modeling and economic analysis, Plos Neg Trop Dis, Oct 9;12(10):e0006652. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30300420
Jahangir is the Course Director of Health Economics - Financing Health and Medical Care course at the Master's of Health Economics, Policy and Management Programme. Jahangir teaches Microeconomics, Health Economics, Health Systems and Policy for undergraduate and post-graduate level students and supervises PhD candidates.
BSc and MSc in Economics from Stockholm University and PhD in Health Systems Research with Health Economics track from Karolinska Institutet, Sweden.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Jahangir received Grand Challenge Canada - Rising Stars for Global Health award.
- Health Economics Unit of icddr,b under Jahangir's leadership was classified as 'Excellent' by international external scientific reviewers in 2014.