Academic surgeon focusing on oesophageal and gastric cancer and associated conditions (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, obesity, Helicobacter pylori-infection) in both research and clinically.
Holding two tenured combined professorships and senior consultant surgeon positions: one full-time at Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital, and one part-time at King's College London and Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in London.
Member of the Nobel Assembly.
CV: MD in 1989, specialist surgeon in 1996, doctorate (PhD) in 1999, associate professor in 2001, senior lecturer in 2003 and professor of surgery since 2006, all at Karolinska Institutet. Professor (Chair) at King's College London (and King's Health Partners London) since 2010.
Supervisor: Supervised 39 doctorate students to completed PhDs (20 as main supervisor) and presently supervising another 9 PhD students (4 as main supervisor). Previous or current supervison of 21 post-doctoral researchers.
Research area: The research mainly examines diseases and surgical procedures of the oesophagus and stomach, with a focus on causes, prevention and treatment of oesophageal cancer. Also examining conditions associated with this tumour, i.e. Barrett's oesophagus, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and obesity.
Research Group: Upper GI Surgery
Publications, 20 selected among nearly 400 peer reviewed articles (63% as last or first author):
1. Lagergren J, Bergström R, Lindgren A, Nyrén O. Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux is a strong risk factor for esophageal adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med 1999;340:825-31. Last known journal impact factor (JIF) 70.7.
2. Lagergren J, Ye W, Bergström R, Nyrén O. Utility of endoscopic screening for upper gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma. JAMA 2000;284:961-2. JIF 51.3.
3. Nilsson M, Johnsen R, Ye W, Hveem K, Lagergren J. Obesity and estrogen as risk factors for symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux. JAMA 2003;290:66-72. JIF 51.3.
4. Rouvelas I, Zeng W, Lindblad M, Viklund P, Ye W, Lagergren J. Survival after surgery for oesophageal cancer: a population-based study. Lancet Oncol 2005;6:864-70. JIF 35.4.
5. Lagergren J. Controversies surrounding body mass, reflux, and risk of oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Lancet Oncol 2006;7:347-9. JIF 35.4.
6. Blomberg J, Lagergren P, Martin L, Mattsson F, Lagergren J. Novel approach to antibiotic prophylaxis in percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG): randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2010;341:c3115. JIF 27.6.
7. Lagergren J, Ye W, Lagergren P, Lu Y. The risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma after antireflux surgery. Gastroenterology 2010;138:1297-1301. JIF 19.2.
8. Lagergren J, Lagergren P. Oesophageal cancer. BMJ 2010;341:c6280. JIF 27.6.
9. Lagergren J. Influence of obesity on the risk of esophageal disorders. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011;8:340-7. JIF 23.6.
10. Derogar M, Sadr-Azodi O, Johar A, Lagergren P, Lagergren J. Hospital and surgeon volume in relation to survival after esophageal cancer surgery in a population-based study. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:551-7. JIF 28.4.
11. Lagergren J, Lagergren P. Recent developments in esophageal adenocarcinoma. CA Cancer J Clin 2013;63:232-48. JIF 223.7.
12. Tao W, Lagergren J. Clinical management of obese patients with cancer. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2013;10:519-33. JIF 34.1.
13. Maret-Ouda J, Brusselaers N, Lagergren J. What is the most effective treatment for severe gastro-oesophageal reflux disease? BMJ 2015;350. JIF 27.6.
14. Markar SR, Mackenzie H, Johar A, Lagergren P, Hanna GB, Lagergren J. Surgical proficiency gain and survival after esophagectomy for cancer. J Clin Oncol 2016;34:1528-36. JIF 28.4.
15. Lagergren J, Smyth E, Cunningham D, Lagergren P. Oesophageal cancer: Seminar. Lancet 2017;390:2383-96. JIF 59.1.
16. Maret-Ouda J, Wahlin K, El-Serag HB, Lagergren J. Recurrence of gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms following laparoscopic antireflux surgery in a nationwide cohort study. JAMA 2017;318:939-46. JIF 51.3.
17. Sverdén E, Markar S, Agreus L, Lagergren J. Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. BMJ 2018;363:k4023. JIF 27.6.
18. Coleman H, Xie S, Lagergren J. The epidemiology of esophageal adenocarcinoma. Gastroenterology 2018;154:390-405. JIF 19.2.
19. Sverdén E, Agréus L, Dunn JM, Lagergren J. Peptic ulcer disease. BMJ 2019;367:l5495. JIF 27.6.
20. Kauppila J, Tao W, Santoni G, von Euler-Chelpin M, Lynge E, Tryggvadóttir L, Ness-Jensen E, Romundstad P, Pukkala E, Lagergren J. Effects of obesity surgery on overall and disease-specific mortality in a 5-country, population-based study. Gastroenterology 2019;157:119-27. JIF 19.2.
Docent in 2001 and professor since 2006. Currently mainly supervision of PhD students and post-docs, but also some supervision of master students and medical students in projects with us. Bedside-teaching in the clinics and at multi-disciplinary clinical conferences. Teacher at PhD courses. Organiser of seminars, workshops and conferences. Speaker at conferences both nationally and internationally.
Specialist in Surgery 1996
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- "Hilda och Alfred Erikssons Prize awarded by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 2020.
- “United European Gastroenterology Research Prize” for excellence in clinical research (100,000 €) in 2017.
- “TP Gunton Research Grant Winner” award from the British Medical Association (£50,000) in 2017.
- Elected member of the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet (since 2017).
- "Embassador" for oesophageal cancer for the Lancet 2016-2019.
- "Skandia´s Lennart Levi Research Prize" in 2011
- Leader of a research constellation judged as "Outstanding" (highest possible) by an external research assessment (ERA2010)
- "Distinguished Professor Award" in 2009
- "The primary research supervisor at Karolinska" in 2007
- "Major Research Scholarship in Surgery" in 2004, the first time it was awarded
- "Axel Hirsch Prize in Cancer Research" in 2002.