I am currently employed as Assistant Professor in the research environment of the Experimental Asthma and Allergy unit. I initiated my PhD-studies within the field of airway pharmacology and physiology in 2008 and graduated 2013. This was followed by post graduate work 2014-2018 on mechanisms in asthmatic airway inflammation and I subsequently acquired an assistant professorship for continuation of translational airway pharmacology studies of lipid mediators, airway hyperresponsiveness and inflammation using in vivo, ex vivo and in vitro methods in both animal and human tissue.
I am currently a co-supervisor of three PhD-students in the lab (one PharmD and two MDs) and have successfully supervised five Master students during their graduation projects.
Between 1999 and 2012 I worked at Astra Zeneca within the departements Safety Assessment, Neuroscience and Molecular Toxicology as a research technician.
Asthma is a major public health concern affecting between 5 and 10% of the population. The exacerbations of asthma occur on a background of chronic inflammation where inflammatory cells, such as eosinophils and mast cells, and their respective mediators, including lipid mediators, orchestrate different patterns of inflammation and bronchoconstriction. The purpose of my research programme is to define the role of different lipid mediators for airway function in relation to the pathobiology of asthma.
I teach the sections ‘Anatomy and physiology of the pulmonary system’ and ‘Animal models in pulmonary diseases’ in the International Master's Programme in Toxicology at the Institute of Environmental medicine, Karolinska Institutet.
- High School Education (Chemistry), Europaskolan, Strängnäs, 1998-2001
- Master of Science in Biology (MSc), Uppsala Universitet, Uppsala, 2003-2007
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Institute of Environmental Medicine and Experimental Asthma and Allergy Research, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm 2008-2013
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- In 2020 I was given the IMM Junior Faculty Strategic Award by The Institute of Environmental Medicine, IMM, Karolinska Institutet.
- In 2017 I was awarded the Veritas Pharma Inc. Dom Spina Prize by the British Pharmacological Society.
Commissions of trust
- 2018-2019 I was the organiser of a bi-monthly seminar series within physiology and pharmacology at Karolinska Instiutet.
- 2014-2017 I was board member of Centre for Allergy Research PhD and Postdoc Association at Karolinska Instiutet.
- 2009-2013 I was member of the Educational Board at the Institute of Environmental Medicine at Karolinska Instiutet.