Affiliated to research
I am Associate Professor in Toxicology and group leader of the at the Molecular Toxicology and Epigenetics group at the Institute for Environmental Medicine, unit of Integrative Toxicology. In my research I focuss on how endocrine disrupting chemicals, i.e. chemicals that interfere with our endogenous hormone system, affect human neurodevelopment. I engage in multidisciplinary national and European projects to address the full complexity of this topic, coupling molecular mechanisms to human health, and translating scientific insights into regulatory and political decisions. One such project is the Horizon 2020-funded ENDpoiNTs, which I am coordinating.
My research focusses on the question how early life exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) affects human (neuro)development via epigenetic changes, i.e. long-lasting changes in gene regulation that do not involve alteration in the DNA sequence. In the Molecular Toxicology and Epigenetics group, we are working on four main projects:
- ENDpoiNTs, a H2020-funded research and innovation action including 16 participants, that aims at developing novel testing methods and strategies to identify chemicals that affect neurodevelopment via endocrine disrupting mechanisms.
- RACH-Mix, a Formas-funded project where we identify epigenetic changes induced by chemical mixtures and address their value as early markers for human exposure-linked disease risk.
- The Formas-funded BBB project, in which we investigate the effect of EDCs on the human blood-brain barrier using advanced in vitro models, and link our results to epidemiological findings.
- EpiLink, in which we address if chemically-induced epigenetic changes identified in in vitro and in vivo models are mediating associations between early-life adversities (such as chemical exposure) and later-life health effects.
Since 2018, I am Assoc. Professor (docent) at Karolinska Institutet. I have experience as supervisor for bachelor, master, and PhD students, as lecturer, and as leader for laboratory and problem-based learning courses.
- Diploma in Biochemistry, University of Zürich (1994-1999)
- MSc in Neuroscience, University of Edinburgh (1999-2000)
- PhD Ludwig Maximilian University München, (2000-2004)
- Docent in Toxicology, Karolinska Institutet 2018