- Professor, Dept of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet
- Senior Physician (överläkare), Dept Pediatrics, Örebro University Hospital
- Member of the steering group of the Swedish IBD Register (and author of the review of this register)
- Chairman of the Swedish Paediatric Society, 2014-16
- Chairman of the Swedish Society of Epidemiology, 2011-14
Most of my papers in this field have been epidemiological, although I have published papers on experimental research in celiac disease. Lately, I have spent considerable time coordinating an international group of scientists working on new guidelines for the definition and management of celiac disease:
- The Oslo definitions for coeliac disease and related terms.
Celiac disease was also the topic for my Fulbright Research Scholarship at the Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minnesota, USA) in 2012.
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
I am the coordinator of one of the world's largest gastrointestinal cohort studies: ESPRESSO (Epidemiology Strengthened by histoPathology Reports in Sweden), where we study various liver diseases, IBS, microscopic colitis, colorectal cancer, celiac disease, gallbladder disease etc.
I have written numerous papers on Swedish National Health Registers:
- External review and validation of the Swedish national inpatient register.
H1N1 immunization and pregnancy outcome (coordinator). This project, funded by the Swedish Research Council as well as by the funding agencies "FORTE" and the Swedish Society of Medicine, has yields several high impact publications.
Doctoral students (main supervisor)
- Ola Olén 2008
- Peter Elfström, 2009
- Adina Welander, 2012
- Karl Mårild, 2012
- Kaziwa Mollazadegan, 2012
- Louise Emilsson, 2013
- Helene Sundelin, 2017
- Anna Röckert-Tjernberg (2019)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the European J Epidemiology
- Member of the International editorial board of Alimentary pharmacology and therapeutics
To the right under "Social links" are the URLs to 13 internetbased presentations on clinical epidemiology. These presentations were based on the book Clinical Epidemiology by Fletcher & Fletcher, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005.
I enjoy teaching and my teaching was first externally peer reviewed in 2004 and I was found to have ”very good educational skills”.
Topics that I frequently discuss in my lectures are: evidence-based medicine (EBM)/epidemiology, celiac disease, emergency paediatrics, and Swedish national health registries (including the personal identity number).
I have also written several books and book chapters, e.g."Att börja forska - inom medicin, bio- och vårdvetenskap" (Studentlitteratur 2002 and second edition in 2015), "Doktorns guide till gluten" (Volante 2016) and "Barnläkarens guide" (2020)
- 1995. MD. Linköping University, Sweden
- 2001. PhD. Medicine. Linköping-Örebro
- 2005. Docent (associate professor), Örebro University Hospital
- 2012. Fulbright Research Scholar, Mayo Clinic, US
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Alvarenga Prize for best medical publication by Swedish author, awarded by the Swedish Society of Medicine, 2019.
- Adjunct professor, Columbia University, 2016-
- Honorary professor at the School of Medicine at the Nottingham University, UK, formally starting a 3+3-year appointment on August 1, 2015.
- Alumnus of the year, 2013, Linköping University
- "Rising star in gastroenterology", Europe, 2010. Awarded by ASNEMGE The European Gastroenterology Association.