Jordi Gonzalez Molina
I am a postdoctoral fellow at Kaisa Lehti's group (MTC). My main research interest are is the biophysical, biochemical, and cellular aspects of the tumour microenvironmnet and their impact on tumourigenesis and tumour development. A second focus of my research is the development of 3D in vitro culture methods using Biomaterials to mimic and study the tumour microenvironment.
Sarcomas are a very diverse group of malignancies accounting for about 1% of adult and 15% of childhood cancers. Sarcomas arise from connective tissues and are typically rich in structural extracellular matrix (ECM) proteins such as fibrillar collagens. With the final goal of improving patient treatment, we are investigating the impact of the tumour microenvironment on sarcomagenesis and tumour development. In close collaboration with Dr Joseph Carlson’s team, we have recently identified the ECM and the tumour immune microenvironment (TIME) as potentially interregulated factors with prognostic value in uterine sarcomas. This has motivated us to further investigate the function of the ECM in sarcoma. We are currently working on two main sarcoma projects:
- Impact of collagen biomechanics and microarchitecture on rhabdomyosarcoma metastasis potential.
- Evolution and impact of the ECM and the TIME on uterine mesenchymal tumour development.
These studies involve an in-depth tissue characterisation combining multi-omics technologies with biomechanical and image analysis techniques. Moreover, we develop biomaterial-based 3D culture systems to mimic clinically relevant tissue features to functionally assess the mechanisms of action of potential novel biomarkers and therapeutic targets.
- Gonzalez-Molina J., Mendonça da Silva J., Fuller B., Selden C. The extracellular fluid macromolecular composition differentially affects cell-substrate adhesion and cell morphology. Sci Rep. 2019 Jun 11;9(1):8505.
- Binzer-Panchal A., Hardell E., Viklund B., Ghaderi M., Bosse T., Nucci M.R., Lee C.H., Hollfelder N., Corcoran P., Gonzalez-Molina J., Moyano-Galceran L., Bell D.A., Schoolmeester J.K., Måsbäck A., Kristensen G.B., Davidson B., Lehti K., Isaksson A., Carlson J.W. Integrated Molecular Analysis of Undifferentiated Uterine Sarcomas Reveals Clinically Relevant Molecular Subtypes. Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 Apr 1;25(7):2155-2165.
- Gonzalez-Molina J., Zhang X., Borghesan M., Mendonça da Silva J., Awan M., Fuller B., Gavara N., Selden C. Extracellular fluid viscosity enhances liver cancer cell mechanosensing and migration. Biomaterials. 2018 Sep;177:113-124.
- Gonzalez-Molina J., Gramolelli S., Liao Z., Carlson J.W., Ojala P.M., Lehti K. MMP14 in Sarcoma: A Regulator of Tumor Microenvironment Communication in Connective Tissues. Cells. 2019 Aug 28;8(9).
PhD student course, Tumor microenvironment, Dept. of Oncology-Pathology, KI (2019, 2020, 2021), course co-organizer
2015 – 2018, MPhil/PhD in Cancer mechanobiology, Institute for Liver and Digestive Health, University College London, London, UK.
2013 – 2014, MSc in Biomedical Research, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain.
2006 – 2011, BSc in Human Biology, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain.