My expertise is in the field of reproductive medicine, stem cell biology, estrogen nuclear receptors and regenerative medicine.
Senior Researcher (Med. Dr.) / Associate Professor (Docent)
I have received my PhD from the Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Karolinska Institutet in 2003. The same year I received a position as a scientist at the Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, where I have been working with nuclear receptors with focus on the estrogen beta receptor role in the ovary and in the early differentiation of human embryonic stem cells.
In 2004 I received a position as assistant professor at the same department. Since 1990 when I started working at Karolinska Institutet as a specialist in cytogenetics, reproductive medicine, and clinic embryology, I have been active working with the development of new techniques in embryo micromanipulation and transgenesis. During my thesis I actively participated in the preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) program at the in vitro fertilization (IVF) unit at Karolinska University Hospital. I have also from the very beginning been involved in the creation of the human embryonic stem cells laboratory at the same unit. Furthermore, includes active participation in the derivation and characterization of human embryonic stem cell (hESC) lines.
I also served as a Scientific Consultant at the hESC laboratory at the IVF unit, Karolinska University Hospital.
My research interests have always been focused on stem cell biology and somatic cell reprogramming using somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT) both in human and mouse model, in order to understand the epigenetic mechanism and factors that could govern the pluripotence of the embryonic stem cells. My focus now as a director of the KISCO unit is to explore the potential of stem cells in developing 3D in vitro models for various human diseases and drug toxicity testing as well as in regenerative medicine.(https://ki.se/en/bionut/kisco-karolinska-institutet-stem-cell-organoid) We are also involved in conducting human embryonic stem cell courses as well as workshops on organoid culturing at Karolisnka Institutet, apart from providing training to researchers from national and international universities. The research team is interdisciplinary involving senior researchers, PhD students, Post Docs, molecular biologists, embryologists, and physicists.
- Elucidate the role of the MMP-19 and TIM-1 in ovulation using ERβ knockout mice.
- Orthotopic ovarian transplantation in elucidation of the ERβ role in ovulation.
- Studying the implication of ERs in cellular differentiation and proliferation in hESC.
- Somatic cell nuclear transfer in order to obtain isogonics hESC (clinic collaboration).
- Genetic stability of human embryonic stem cells (hESC)-the role of the cytoskeleton.
- Development of in vitro 3D Organoids Diseases Models, from pluripotents stem cells.
- Doctoral Program Coordinator in Developmental Biology and Cellular Signaling (2006-2012).
- Organizer of five doctoral courses in the field of stem cells and regenerative medicine.
Organization of courses, teaching activities, and Doctoral courses:
- Organizer of the postgraduate-course at the Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet at Huddinge Hospital, on "Stem cells and organoids with focus on regenerative medicine"( 5562). (https://kiwas.ki.se/katalog/katalog/kurs/9506
- Organizer of the postgraduate-course at the Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet at Huddinge Hospital, on "Embryology I". (3150). https://kiwas.ki.se/katalog/katalog/kurs/9505
- Co-Organizer of the postgraduate-courses for the Department of CLINTEC, Karolinska Institutet at Huddinge Hospital, on "Clinical Achievements of Reproductive Medicine".(2291). http://kiwas.ki.se/katalog/katalog/kurs/2681
- Organizer of the postgraduate-course at the Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet. “Cryobiology in assisted reproductive technology course” Course catalog number: (3089). https://kiwas.ki.se/katalog/katalog/kurs/9386
- Organizer of the postgraduate-course at the Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet. "Gene Regulation in the Early Human Embryo". Course catalog number: (3080) https://kiwas.ki.se/katalog/katalog/kurs/9384
Course leader for this course “Bachelor’s in Nutrition “The Human Body, Health and Disease" course code NU3001 Stockholm University https://www.su.se/english/course-syllabus-search/course-syllabus?code=NU3001
- Docent Developmental Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, 2013.
- Ph.D Medical Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, 2003.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Official member of the south Stockholm/Linköping Regional Ethical Committee, 2009 to date.
- Swedish Medical Association, member from 2012.
- Deputy in SIG of Stem Cells, European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE), 2003-2007.