Currently holds a position as Assistant Professor at the Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology, Karolinska Institutet. I received my Ph.D. degree from the Department of Oncology-Pathology, Karolinska Institutet in 2012 followed by postdoctoral training at Harvard University. In 2016, I joined The Centre for Translational Microbiome Research (CTMR) at Karolinska Institutet. My research interests focus on host-microbiota interactions.
Project 1: Cohort study: Microbiota interaction with Human Papillomavirus (HPV) related diseases
The goal for this project is to evaluate the microbiome from HPV infected individuals, pre-cancer and cancer patients before and after treatments. By comparing the data of HPV infected individuals with healthy controls, the probiotics that impact HPV clearance or cancer development will be selected for further investigation.
Project 2: In vitro microbiota culture and the usage of bacteriophage as a potential treatment for dysbiosis
In this project, we are developing a culture system of whole gut and vaginal microbiota in vitro. Meanwhile we are also isolating bacteriophages from pathogens in gut and vaginal microbiota. Using the in vitro culture microbiota model, we are testing and comparing potential treatments for dysbiosis such as bacteriophages and probiotic. Bacteriophage therapy is highly pathogen specific and suggested to have a more efficient impact on infections.
Project 3: Mechanism study for bacteria-bacteria and bacteria-host interaction
We have a large collection of commensal human gut and vaginal bacteria strains. We are testing the potential inhibition mechanism of commensal bacteria or probiotic on pathogens e.g. metabolism. We are also investigating the potential immune system response to different bacteria.
Project 4: Gut/Vagina-microbiota 3D model for host-microbiota interaction study
We aim to build up an in vitro 3D co-culture platform using a hydrogel system, which mimics the morphology of human small intestine and vagina, as a foundation for co-culturing human small intestine cell lines or vaginal cell lines with human microbiota in order to evaluate the interactions between host and microbiota.
- Juan Du, Ph.D. Assistant Professor
- Liqin Cheng, PhD candidate, 2018-2022, Karolinska Institutet
- Andreas Ährlund-Richter, PhD candidate, 2019-2023, Karolinska Institutet
- Shengru Wu, PostDoc, 2019-2021, Karolinska Institutet
- Yan Wang, exchange PhD, 2019-2020, Karolinska Institutet
- Unnur Guðnadóttir, Master, 2019, Uppsala University
- Lorena Calderon Pérez, exchange PhD, 2019, Karolinska Institutet
- Sebastian-Alexandru Radu, Bachelor student, 2018-2020, Karolinska Institutet
- Yue Hu, PostDoc, 2017-2018, Karolinska Institutet
- Tabusi Mahebali, Master, 2018, Karolinska Institutet
- Sebastian-Alexandru Radu, Bachelor, 2018-2019, Karolinska Institutet
- IngTsyr Beh, Bachelor exchange student, 2017, Karolinska Institutet
- Gloria Natalia Loko, Master, 2017-2018, Uppsala University
- Daniel Scheiner, Bachelor exchange student, 2018, Karolinska Institutet
- Arlisa Alisjahbana, Master, 2017, Karolinska Institutet, Summer project
- Julia Foyer, Bachelor, 2017, Karolinska Institutet, Summer project
- Mikaela Svensson, Bachelor, 2017-2018, Imperial College London, Summer project
- Andreas Ährlund-Richter, Master, 2008-2012 & 2017, Karolinska Institutet
Stiftelsens för Strategisk Forskning (SSF)-Ingvar Carlsson Award Åke Wibergs stiftelse Harald Jeanssons Stiftelse Extra satsning juniora forskare KI Forskningsbidrag Föreningen för Klinisk Mikrobiologi Clas Groschinskys minnesfonds (CGM) Svenska Läkaresällskapet (SLS)
Åke Wibergs stiftelse Harald Jeanssons Stiftelse Stiftelsen Längmanska kulturfonden Stiftelsen Lars Hiertas Minne Fredrik och Ingrid Thurings Stiftelse Svenska Sällskapet för Medicinsk Forskning (SSMF)