I serve as professor in cardio-renal Epidemiology at the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics (MEB), senior researcher at the Division of Renal Medicine at Danderyd Hospital, and lektor at Örebro University, School of Medicine. My professional ambition is to improve the prevention and management of persons with chronic kidney disease, and to integrate kidney function assessment into the medical decision process.
Since my arrival at KI, I have authored more than 500 articles as well as 30 book chapters on epidemics and complications of chronic kidney disease, with special emphasis on modifiable risk factors: diet, lifestyle and inapropriate use of medication. My work has received over 55 000 citations and my H index is currently 88 according to Web of Science. I am a frequent invited lecturer to national and international scientific conferences worldwide.
Engagements at Karolinska Institutet
- Steering Committee member for the Center for Gender Medicine, KI
- Recruitment Commitee member at the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, KI.
Engagements in National/International Societies
- Co-director of the educational outreach program at the International Society of Renal Nutrition and Metabolism (ISRNM).
- Chair of the European Renal Nutrition working group of the European Renal Association (ERA).
Engagements in guideline making
- 2023: KDIGO Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation and Management of Chronic Kidney Disease.
- 2021: ESPEN guideline on clinical nutrition in hospitalized patients with acute or chronic kidney disease
- 2020: KDOQI Clinical Practice Guideline for Nutrition in CKD: 2020 Update
- 2019: KDIGO controversy guideline on potassium homeostasis and management of dyskalemia in kidney diseases
- 2018: KDIGO controversy guideline on Chronic kidney disease and arrhythmias
Engagements in editorial work
- Statistical Editor for European Heart Journal
- Associate Editor for Nephrology Dialysis and Transplantation
- Editorial Board Member for American Journal of Kidney Diseases, Journal of Nephrology
Defended PhD students (main supervision)
- Xiaoyan Huang, KI 2013
- Carolina Gracia-Iguacel, Univ Complutense, Madrid, 2014
- Christiaan Meuwese, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands, 2014
- Desiree Luis Rodriguez, University of Las Palmas, Spain, 2016
- Hong Xu, KI 2018
- Marco Trevisan, KI, 2021
- Björn Runesson, KI, 2021
- Edouard L Fu, Leiden University Medical Center, 2021
Current PhD students (main supervision)
- Mikael Eklund, Örebro university
- Alessandro Bosi, KI
- Jim Alkas, KI
- Yuanhang Yang, KI
- Faizan Mazhar, KI
- Edouard L Fu, Harvard university (affiliated)
- Yang Xu, Peking University (affiliated)
- Hong Xu, KI (affiliated)
- Erik Nilsson, Örebro University (affiliated)
- Assoc. Prof Arvid Sjölander, MEB, KI
- Prof. Rino Bellocco, MEB, KI
My long term goal is to improve patient care by integrating kidney function aspects in the medical decision process.
To that end we pursue clinical epidemiological analyses in National and International population-based and healthcare-related registers. These include, among others:
- The Swedish Renal Registry
- The CKD-prognosis consortium
- The Global Burden of Disease consortium
- The Diet-Hemodialysis study
In addition, we coordinate the unique Stockholm CREAtinine Measurements (SCREAM) project.
We welcome research collaborations. Please, do contact us if you share our fascination for cardiorenal epidemiology research!
2019 Professor in epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
2013 Associate Professor (Docent) in Renal Medicine
2008, PhD in Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
2005, PhD in Pharmacy, University of Granada, Spain
2002, Master in Business and Administration, University of Granada, Spain
2000, Bachelor in Pharmacy, University of Granada, Spain
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- 2021 Research Excellence Award of the ERA
- 2016 Distinguished Fellow of the US National Kidney Foundation (FNKF)
- 2015 Distinguised Fellow of the ERA (FERA)
- 2014 Journal of Nephrology (JN) award, by the Italian Society of Nephrology.
- 2014 US National Kidney Foundation “Joel D. Kopple” award for Renal Nutrition Research.
- Karolinska Institutet Research Funds: Award grant for young investigators in 2013, 2011 and 2008
ERA, European Renal Association
ISBP, International Society of Blood Purification
ESPEN, European Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition