Affiliated to research
Karin is a public health professional with specialisation in health systems, child health epidemiology and control of pneumonia, malaria and other infectious diseases. She has 15+ years’ experience as researcher, lecturer, programme coordinator, and consultant in both development and emergency settings, including seven years living and working in a low- income country. She also has a deep understanding of the health sector and working with governments and policy makers in Africa to achieve desired outcomes. She is currently working as Senior Research Adviser at Malaria Consoritum, and international NGO with head office in London.
Karin has extensive experience in operational research, design-, implementation-, management- and evaluation of programmes, health systems strengthening, health workforce development, assessment of quality of care, health policy development, behaviour change and community-based care.
Current projects include:
- TRAction - Universal versus conditional three-day follow-up visits for children with unclassified fever at community level in Ethiopia
- The Acute Repiratory Infection Diagnostic Aids (ARIDA) project, which evaluates community health workers' use of automated respiratory rate counting aids on children under five in Ethiopia.
Previous projects include:
- Pneumonia diagnstics
- Integrated Community Case Management of Common Childhood Diseases: Mozambique and Uganda - the inSCALE project
- Consequences of pneumococcal vaccination on child morbidity, serotype replacement and resistance pattern - comparative studies in Sweden and Uganda
She has received grants from, among others, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Sida/SAREC, KI Public International Health Network (KIPIH), and the Strategic Research Program in Epidemiology.
- Associate Professor of International Child Health Policy and Systems, Karolinska Institutet, 2013.
- Senior Lecturer, Karolinska Institutet, 2013.
- Visiting Lecturer, Makerere University, 2009.
- Post Doc, Makerere University, 2007.
- PhD in Medical Science, Karolinska Insitutet, 2006.
- Master of Science (Molecular Biology), Lund University, 2002.