I am Professor of Molecular Cell and Tumor Biology at Karolinska Institutet since 1999. In 2003, I co-founded the company Aprea AB with colleagues to develop novel p53-based cancer therapy. I was co-ordinator of the EU FP6 Integrated project “Mutant p53 as a target for improved cancer treatment” 2004-2009, with 23 research groups and a total budget 8 million Euros. I am a Faculty Member of the Strategic Research Program in Cancer (StratCan) at Karolinska Institutet since 2009.
My research is focused on cancer, the tumor suppressor p53, the p53 target gene Wig-1/Zmat3, and novel cancer therapy. We have discovered small molecules that can reactivate mutant p53, including PRIMA-1 and APR-246 (PRIMA-1Met), and induce tumor cell death by apoptosis. APR-246 is currently tested in a phase I/II proof-of-concept clinical trial.
Five selected publications:
1. Restoration of the tumor suppressor function to mutant p53 by a low molecular weight compound. Bykov, V.J., Issaeva, N., Shilov, A., Hultcrantz, M., Pugacheva, E., Chumakov, P., Bergman, J., Wiman, K.G., and Selivanova, G. Nature Med. 8, 282-8, 2002.
2. Shaping genetic alterations in human cancer: the p53 mutation paradigm. Soussi, T., and Wiman, K.G. Cancer Cell 12, 303-12, 2007
3. PRIMA-1 reactivates mutant p53 by covalent binding to the core domain. Lambert, J.M.R., Gorzov, P., Veprintsev, D.B., Söderqvist, M., Segerbäck, D., Bergman, J., Fersht, A.R., Hainaut, P., Wiman, K.G., and Bykov, V.J.N. Cancer Cell 15, 376-88, 2009.
4. The p53 target Wig-1 regulates p53 mRNA stability through an AU-rich element. Vilborg, A., Glahder, J.A., Wilhelm, M.T., Corcoran, M., Mahmoudi, S., Rosenstierne, M., Grandér, D., Farnebo, M., Norrild, B., and Wiman, K.G. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106, 15756-61, 2009.
5. Targeting p53 in vivo: A first-in-man study with the p53-targeting compound APR-246 in refractory hematological malignancies and prostate cancer. Lehmann, S., Bykov, V.J.N., Ali, D., Andrén, O., Cherif, H., Tidefelt, U., Uggla, B., Yachnin, J., Juliusson, G., Moshfegh, A., Paul, C., Wiman, K.G., and Andersson, P.-O. J. Clin. Oncol. 30, 3633-9, 2012.
Basic degree in Medicine, Uppsala University 1977
PhD Uppsala University 1981
Post doc, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York 1982-85
MD Karolinska Institutet 1989