Liselotte Schäfer Elinder
Adjunct professor of Public Health Sciences at the Department of Global Public Health and leader of the group Community nutrition and physical activity
Adjunct professor of Public Health Sciences at the Department of Global Public Health and group leader of the Community nutrition and physical activity research group. I am also employed at the Centre for Epidemiology and Community Medicine, Region Stockholm, where I work with health promotion and disease prevention.
After taking my PhD in medical biochemistry in Denmark in 1990, I joined Karolinska Institutet as a postdoc researcher in the area of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases. In 1998, I joined the Swedish National Institute for Public Health as head of the Unit for Diet and Physical Activity. I was engaged in the development of the Swedish Public Health Policy adopted in 2003.
In 2006, I joined the Centre for Public Health, Stockholm County Council as head of the Unit for Applied Nutrition. In 2009, I returned to Karolinska Institutet as vice head for the Division of Intervention and Implementation Research, Department of Public Health Sciences. In 2013, I became adjunct senior lecturer in intervention and implementation research at the Department for Public Health Sciences, and in 2017 I became adjunct professor in Public Health Sciences.
My research focuses on three main areas:
- Epidemiological studies of healthy and sustainable dietary habits and physical activity and their upstream determinants in relation to health outcomes
- Multidisciplinary research on the development, implementation and evaluation of interventions and tools to promote health and prevent obesity and chronic diseases
- Commissioned assignments within the group’s research competence
- Intervention and Implementation Research course 2454 (third cycle). Lecturer and examiner (7.5 ECTS)
- Implementation and evaluation course in the Master of Public Health, health promotion track, course leader and lecturer (7 ECTS)
- Health, environment and society, medical students, lecturer
I have a master degree in Experimental biology from Odense University, Denmark, and a PhD in Medical Biochemistry from Århus University and the Academy of Technical Sciences, Denmark.