I am an epidemiologist and physician by training. I am employed as a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Unit of Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine where I conduct studies on environmental risk factors for children and adults with cancer and neurocutaneous syndromes. I have previously researched on risk factors and longer-term consequences of chronic inflammatory diseases, sarcoidosis and systemic lupus erythematosus.
I have ongoing studies on environmental and perinatal risk factors for children and adults with cancer and patients with cancer-predisposing genetic syndromes. My research uses register-based data from the Nordic countries complemented with clinical data from national quality registers. I am genuinely interested in exploring and employing novel epidemiological and statistical methods for register-based research of chronic disease in children and adults.
I have previously worked on studies on disease mechanisms and outcomes of patients with chronic systemic inflammatory diseases, focusing on sarcoidosis and systemic lupus erythematosus. In sarcoidosis, I examined the epidemiological aspects of the disease using large, population-based Swedish registers and detailed clinical data. My studies covered all aspects of the course of the disease, namely risk factors (familial disease and infection), long-term patient outcomes (infections, cardiovascular disease, mortality), and comparative safety of sarcoidosis treatments. I was also involved on projects on outcomes of pregnant women with systemic lupus erythematosus and their children as well as in projects on cardiovascular disease, infections, and adverse events related to lupus' therapeutic management.
- Epidemiology I for Medical Residents/ST-läkare, Karolinska Institutet
- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses, PhD course 5254, Karolinska Institutet
- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses, Master's course 4FH099, Master's program in Public Health–Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet
- PhD in Medical Science (Clinical Epidemiology), Department of Medicine, Solna, Karolinska Institutet (2021)
- Master's in Medical Science (Public Health–Epidemiology), Karolinska Institutet (2016)
- Medicine (MD), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2014)
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Karolinska Institutet travel grant for research visits (2019)
- Karolinska Institutet travel grant (2019)
- American Thoracic Society abstract scholarship (2018)
- European League Against Rheumatism travel bursary (2016)