Marios is an epidemiologist and physician by training. He is currently a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Unit of Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine. His research focuses on environmental risk factors and outcomes of children with cancer and phacomatoses. He has previously researched on chronic inflammatory diseases, sarcoidosis and systemic lupus erythematosus, their risk factors and longer-term consequences.
Marios is planning studies on environmental and perinatal risk factors for and survival and outcomes of children with cancer and rare genetic syndromes using register-based data from the Nordic countries. He is genuinely interested in exploring and employing novel epidemiological and statistical methods for register-based research of chronic disease in children and adults.
He has previously worked on studies on disease mechanisms and outcomes of patients with chronic systemic inflammatory diseases focusing on sarcoidosis and systemic lupus erythematosus. In sarcoidosis, he examined the epidemiological aspects of the disease using large, population-based Swedish registers complemented with detailed clinical data. His studies covered all aspects of the course of disease ranging from risk factors (familial disease and infection) to long-term patient outcomes (infections, cardiovascular disease, mortality, and comparative safety [pharmaco-epidemiologic] studies). He was also involved on projects on outcomes of pregnant women with systemic lupus erythematosus and their children as well as on cardiovascular disease, infections, and adverse events related to lupus' therapeutic management.
- Epidemiology I for Medical Residents/ST-läkare (teaching assistant), Karolinska Institutet
- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses (lecturer, group supervisor), PhD course 5254, Karolinska Institutet
- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses (lecturer, group supervisor), Master's course 4FH099, Master's program in Public Health–Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet
- PhD in Medical Science (Clinical Epidemiology), Department of Medicine, Solna, Karolinska Institutet (2021)
- Master's in Medical Science (Public Health–Epidemiology), Karolinska Institutet (2016)
- Medicine (MD), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2014)
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Karolinska Institutet travel grant for research visits (2019)
- Karolinska Institutet travel grant (2019)
- American Thoracic Society abstract scholarship (2018)
- European League Against Rheumatism travel bursary (2016)