Health risk assessment of chemicals and science-to-policy is my main field of research. I enjoy working in the truely multi-disciplinary research field of toxicolgy and has a large network of contacts among Swedish and international researchers, agencies and organizations. Beside my research activities, I am a Swedish representative the the Nordic Expert Group, a Nordic collaboration for production of criteria documents on chemicals for occupational exposure limits. In addition, I am chairing the National Committee for European Registered toxicologists (ERT) and are a member of the excecutive committe for Eurotox, the federation of European toxicologists and European Societies of Toxicology.
Current research projects as main project leader:
- Experimental design aligned with dose-response modelling as a means for 3R in toxicity testing (Financial support: Vetenskapsrådet)
- Bayesian dose-response modelling aligned with experimental design as means to improve chemical risk assessment (Financial support: Formas)
- Risk, Fara, Oro, Skada - ett kommunikationsprojekt (Finansiering: Formas)
- Kemiska olyckor i arbetslivet – systematisk analys av giftinformationscentralens arbetsmiljörelaterade data (Financial support: AFA Försäkring)
Other reasech projects:
- PERFORCE3, a Innovative Training Network about perfluorinated chemicals. (PI: Ian Cousins; Financial support: European Union’s Horizon 2020).
- Phthalates in female reproduction –impact of mixture composition on hazard characterization (PI: Pauliina Damdimopoulou, Karolinska Institutet, Financial support: Formas).
- New animal-free methods to meet the need for safe chemicals (PI: Elin Törnqvist, Karolinska Institutet, Financial support: Formas).
My teaching activities include lectures, cource leadership, supervising master and PhD student.
I have been the main supervisor for three PhD students:
- Mia Johansson (2016) - Asthmatics as a susceptible population in health risk assessment of airbourne chemicals
- Joakim Ringblom (2016) - Worth weighting for - Studies on benchmark dose analysis in relation to animal ethics in toxicity testing
- Antero Silva (planned dissertation in 2022) - Benchmark dose modelling for hazard and risk characterization of chemicals
- Lars Brunken (planed dissertation 2024) - Dose-response assessment of PFAS mixtures in relation to biomarkers of effects relevant for cardiovascular disease in humans.