Affiliated to research
I am a clinical researcher and neurologist, specializing in cerebrovascular diseases and acute neurological care. My place of work at KI is the Department of Clinical Neuroscience, where I am an associate professor since December 2020. In addition to my clinical duties as a consultant physician, I am also the Head of the Stroke Service at the Department of Neurology of the Karolinska University Hospital.
My main research interests are acute recanalisation treatments in ischemic stroke, prehospital stroke triage, secondary prevention in stroke, and acute management of intracerebral hemorrhage.
I hold the position of Researcher at SITS International, a non-profit foundation coordinating several multinational stroke treatment registries - www.sitsinternational.org
I am the main supervisor for PhD student Tove Almqvist (MD), was main supervisor for Boris Keselman (MD, PhD, defended 2021), and co-supervisor for PhD student Håkan Almqvist. Additionally, I have supervised seven MD program master theses, Fredrik de Wahl (2015), Niklas Almqvist (2018), Harald Löfberg (2019), Sebastian Sköldblom (2019), Tove Almqvist (2020), Elin Wiebert (2020), and Mimmi Sjöö (2021).
I am involved in teaching clinical neurology to 5th year medical students at the Department of Neurology, where I also served as Clinical Amanuensis in 2013.
Since 2015, I am involved in the oral Integrated Preparatory Examination taken by medical students after two years of study, assessing their ability to integrate and apply knowledge of the medical sciences prior to entering the clinical phase of medical education.
In 2016-2020, I was elected to the European Stroke Organisation Educational Committee, working with the World Stroke Academy, a collaborative educational project between the World Stroke Organisation and the European Stroke Organisation. It can be found at https://world-stroke-academy.org/
In 2011, I set up a Swedish translation of the patient information website www.neurosymptoms.org on functional and dissociative neurological symptoms, originally created by Dr. Jon Stone in Edinburgh. The Swedish site can be found at http://www.funktionellasymptom.se and has since its inception been viewed over 800.000 times.
- University Medical Degree (MD) from the Faculty of Health Sciences at Linköping University in 2007.
- Swedish Medical License, 2009.
- PhD in Medicine at Karolinska Institutet, 2014.
- Certified Specialist Physician in Neurology, by the Swedish National Board of Health, 2015.
- Associate Professor (Docent) in Neurology, Karolinska Institutet, 2020.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Karolinska Institutet Award for Excellent Supervision 2020. For supervising the Master thesis by Niclas Almqvist, MD.
- Young Investigator Award 2015 - Awarded by the European Stroke Organisation in Glasgow, Scotland in April 2015. For work titled "Intravenous thrombolysis in very severe and severe ischemic stroke." by Mazya MV, Lees KR, Collas D, Rand V-M, Mikulik R, Toni D, Wahlgren N, Ahmed N, for the SITS investigators. Published in Neurology. 2015 Dec 15;85(24):2098-106.
- Outstanding Young Research Award 2012 - Awarded at the European Stroke Conference 2012 in Lisbon, Portugal. For work titled "Predicting the risk of symptomatic intracerebral hemorrhage in ischemic stroke treated with intravenous alteplase: safe Implementation of Treatments in Stroke (SITS) symptomatic intracerebral hemorrhage risk score." by Mazya M, Egido JA, Ford GA, Lees KR, Mikulik R, Toni D, Wahlgren N, Ahmed N; SITS Investigators. Published in Stroke. 2012;43:1524-31.
- Article of the year by a junior author, Finalist, shared 2nd place, 2008 - The Swedish Medical Journal - Läkartidningen. Awarded for "New endovascular treatment of intracranial arterial stenosis in clinical practice. Good result in a patient with high risk of cerebral ischemia" by Mazya M, Rossitti S, Andersson MA. Lakartidningen. 2008;105:2486-8.
Participated in the following awarded projects:
- 2019 Main supervisor for KI MD program master thesis by Niklas Almqvist (2018), awarded Regional Winner for Europe (highest ranked thesis in the Medical Sciences category), within the Global Undergraduate Awards https://undergraduateawards.com/winners/regional-winners-2019
- Second author on electronic poster awarded Best E-poster Award at the European Stroke Organisation Conference, first author Charith Cooray at CNS/KI, for work titled Cooray C, Mazya MV, Mikulik R, Jurak L, Brozman M, Ringleb P, Dixit A, Toni D, Ahmed N. Safety and outcome of intravenous thrombolysis in acute ischaemic stroke patients on §prophylactic doses of low-molecular-weight heparins at stroke onset. Stroke, 2019 May;50(5):1149-1155