My current research focuses on genetic epidemiology of complex diseases, particularly sarcoidosis, a systematic complex lung disease with a strong inflammatory component. The etiology and pathogenic causes of sarcoidosis are unknown, which makes my research work challenging, but really interesting.
If you are interested in collaborating with us or be part of MESARGEN – Multi-Ethnic Sarcoidosis Consortium for Genetic Studies, please contact us.
Current graduate students
Muntasir Abo Al Hayja, MD, Department of Medicine, Respiratory Unit, Karolinska Institutet. Project “Pleiotropy assessment of sarcoidosis associated genetic variants in lung cells”.
Tomoko Iseda, MD, Department of Medicine, Respiratory Unit, Karolinska Institutet. Project “Genetics of disease chronicity in sarcoidosis”
Vasiliki Vasila, MD, Department of Medicine, Respiratory Unit, Karolinska Institutet. Project “Genetics of gender differences in sarcoidosis”
Former granduate students
Karina Patasova, MSc, Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet. Project “Smoking assessment in sarcoidosis phenotypes, a gene-environment interaction study“
PhD in Molecular Medicine, Feb 2012. Dissertation title: "Genetics of Left Ventricular Hypertrophy". Doctoral School of Molecular Medicine, University of Milan, Segrate, Milan, Italy
Master of Science in Health Sciences - Specialization Genetic Epidemiology, Sept 2011. Thesis title: "Assessment of 9p21.3 locus with severity of Coronary Artery (CAD) in the presence and absence of Type 2 Diabetes". Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES), Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, Jan 2005. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Dec 1999. Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, USA
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Project grant from the Swedish Heart and Lung Foundation, Stockholm, Sweden, October 2017
- Project grant from the Lisa och Johan Grönbergs Foundation, Stockholm, Sweden June 2017
- Travel grant from Karolinska Institutet, KI Fonder, October 2015
- Travel grant from the Swedish Heart and Lung Foundation, Stockholm, Sweden, October 2015
- Travel grant from Karolinska Institutet, KI Fonder,January 2016
- Academic award from the EASD / Elli Lilly, The 19th Young Scientists Training Course, Barcelona, Spain, November 2012.
- Academic arward from the American Heart Association, The 7th Hypertension Summer School 2010, Portland State University, Oregon, USA, July 2010.
- Academic award from the ERA-EDTA, European Genetic Foundation (EGF), Bologna, Italy, March 2009
- Academic award from the Wellcome Trust, Genetic Analysis of Multifactorial Diseases, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridgeshire, UK, July 2008
- Student Award from the 3rd IEEE-EMBS International Summer School and Symposium on Medical Devices and Biosensors (ISSS-MDBS) at MIT Media Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Boston, MA, USA, September 2006
- Academic award from the National Science Foundation (NSF) - Integrated Research and Education in Advanced Networking (IREAN), Blacksburg, VA, USA, 2005 - 2007