I am a Project Coordinator and PhD student. My research focus is on education and training of team leaders’ decision making in civilian and military complex trauma care, funded by the Swedish Armed Forces.
I coordinate several Erasmus+ projects that I have been granted over the last years. Moreover, I am one of the course leaders in the Health Informatics MSc program.
I hold a MSc degree in Health Informatics and a BSc in Computer Science.
- ENTICE: Evaluating Novel Tangible and Intangible Co-creative Experiential medical education; 2020-2023; (990,635 EUR)
An Erasmus+ co-funded project under the Knowledge Alliances Key Action. Co-ordinated by VILABS LTD, Cyprus. Partners: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece; University of Leeds, UK; Karolinska Institutet (MINT team), Sweden; SimLabIT Oy, Finalnd; Open Knowledge Foundation Greece, Greece.
- ReHIn: Refugees Health Integration; 2019-2022
The research project is co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme Strategic Partnerships and coordinated by MINT - Medical INTeractions at Karolinska Institutet, Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics. ReHIN aims to create web-based educational resources to raise awareness and enable integration of refugees into the EU health culture and system.
The project is a collaborative action research project between Karolinska Institutet (Sweden), University of Nottingham (UK), Aristotle University Thessaloniki (Greece) and Universitat Politècnica de València (Spain).
- CEPEH: Chatbots in Healthcare Curricula; 2019-2022
CEPEH is co-Funded by the Erasmus+ Programme Strategic Partnership and is a collaborative action between University of Nottingham (UK), Karolinska Institutet (Sweden), Aristotle University Thessaloniki (Greece), Research Centre-RISE Limited (Cyprus).
- ACoRD: Advancing Co-Creation of RLOs to Digitalize Healthcare Curricula, 2018-2021
ACoRD is a Capacity Building Erasmus+ Co-funded project, co-ordinated by the University of Nottingham, UK. Partners: Karolinska Institutet (MINT), Sweden; University of Stavanger, Norway; University of Malaya, Malaysia; University Puttra, Malaysia; Taylors University, Malaysia.
- WAVES: Widening Access to Virtual Educational Scenarios; 2016-2018
Knowledge Alliances Key Action co-funded by the Erasmus plus project. Co-ordinated by St. Georges Hospital Medical School. Partners: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki; Masaryk University; Karolinska Institutet; Bayer; In.struct.
WAVES has made SBL (Scenario Based Learning) more accessible for a wide range of professions through embedding SBL into the learning platforms, adding renewed pedagogic value and ease-of-use to learners through improved integration and progress monitoring.
- Kononowicz AA, Woodham LA, Edelbring S, Stathakarou N, Davies D, Saxena N, Tudor Car L, Carlstedt-Duke J, Car J, Zary N. Virtual Patient Simulations in Health Professions Education: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis by the Digital Health Education Collaboration. J Med Internet Res 2019; 21(7):e14676
- Stathakarou N, Kononowicz AA, Henningsohn L, McGrath C. Modelling Feedback in Virtual Patients: An Iterative Approach. Studies in health technology and informatics. 2018;247:201-5.
- Stathakarou N, Scully ML, Kononowicz AA, Henningsohn L, Zary N, McGrath C. MOOC Learners’ Engagement with Two Variants of Virtual Patients: A Randomised Trial. Educ. Sci. 2018; 8, 44.
- Berman AH, Biguet G, Stathakarou N, Westin-Hägglöf B, Jeding K, McGrath C, Zary N, Kononowicz AA. Virtual Patients in a Behavioral Medicine Massive Open Online Course (MOOC): A Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis of Participants' Perceptions. Acad Psychiatry. 2017 Apr 7.
- Henningsohn L, Dastaviz N, Stathakarou N, & McGrath C. (2017). KIUrologyX: Urology As You Like It—A Massive Open Online Course for Medical Students, Professionals, Patients, and Laypeople Alike. European Urology, 72(3), 321-322.
- Vaitsis C, Stathakarou N, Barman L, Zary N, & McGrath C. (2016). Using Competency-Based Digital Open Learning Activities to Facilitate and Promote Health Professions Education (OLAmeD): A Proposal. JMIR research protocols, 5(3).
- Kononowicz AA, Woodham L, Georg C, Edelbring S, Stathakarou N, Davies D, Masiello I, Saxena N, Tudor-Car L, Car J, Zary N: Virtual patients simulations for health professional education (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016; 5:CD012194.
- Kononowicz AA, Berman AH, Stathakarou N, McGrath C, Bartyński T, Nowakowski P, Malawski M, Zary N: Virtual Patients in a Behavioral Medicine MOOC: A Case-Based Analysis of Technical Capacity and User Navigation Pathways. JMIR Medical Education 2015; 1(2):e8
- Stathakarou N, Zary N, Kononowicz AA: Evaluation of three educational use cases for using Virtual Patients in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs): a Delphi study. Bio-Algorithms and Med-Systems 2015; 11(2): 113-119
- Stathakarou N, Zary N, Kononowicz AA: Beyond xMOOCs in healthcare education: study of the feasibility in integrating virtual patient systems and MOOC platforms. PeerJ 2014 Nov 13;2:e672
- Stathakarou N, Zary N, Kononowicz AA: Virtual patients in massive open online courses - design implications and integration strategies. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2014;205:793-7
- V. V. Thang, N. V. Hung, L. T. B. Yen, H. D. Tuyen, N. Stathakarou. Training against medical errors using virtual patients as an alternatively effective approach for competency based education. MEI 2018 conference, [06.09.2018]
- R. Nurpeissova, A. Syzdykova, Zh. Bekbergenova, M. Zhakupbekova, X. Shnaider, N. Stathakarou. Experience of using virtual patients with medical error for undergraduate students in Astana Medical University, Leeds, MEI 2018 conference, [06.09.2018]
- Kononowicz A, Adler M, Schwarz D, Spachos D, Stathakarou N, Woodham L. Enhancements in accessibility and usability of SBL environments: results from the WAVES project AMEE 2017 conferece, Helsinki, Finland [28.08.2017]
- Woodham L, Stathakarou N, Topps D, Adler A, Kononowicz A, Schwarz D, Spachos D, Antoniou P. Integrating Virtual Scenarios using standards: Experiences of the WAVES project. MedBiquitous Annual Conference 2017, Baltimore, MD, USA [05.06.2017] (Oral communication)
- Mcgrath C., Barman L., Stathakarou N., Vaitsis C., Zary N.: Competency based digital Open Learning Activities as an innovative conceptual model to facilitate and promote healthcare education. Digital Learning research Network: Making Sense of Higher Education: Networks and Change, Stanford, California [16.10.2015]
- Kononowicz AA., Stathakarou N., Berman AH., Zary N.: Visual analytics in branched virtual patients. AMEE 2015 eLearning Symposium, Glasgow, Scotland , UK [06.09.2015]
- Alfredsson J., Sejersen R., Stathakarou N., Zary N.: The e-Examination Ecosystem in Healthcare Education: Information and Process Models, Medical Informatics Europe, Thessaloniki, Greece [18.06.2015]
- Kononowicz AA., Berman AH., Stathakarou N., Bartyński T., Nowakowski P., Malawski M., Zary N.: Virtual Patients in a Behavioral Medicine MOOC: Meeting the challenge of ensuring technical capacity and analyzing user navigation patterns. MOOCs in Scandinavia Conference, Stockholm, Sweden [12.06.2015]
- Zary N., Kononowicz AA., Berman AH., Malawski M., Stathakarou N.: Challenges and opportunities of using virtual patients in xMOOCs , MedBiquitous Annual Conference 2015, Baltimore, MD, USA [19.05.2015]
- Kononowicz AA., Stathakarou N., Berman AH., McGrath C., Bartyński T., Nowakowski P., Malawski M., Zary N.: Virtual Patients in Massive Open Online Courses: a technical toolbox. MCSB2015, Kraków Poland [14.05.2015]
MSc Health Informatics program:
5HI003: Healthcare organization and management in digital era
5HI021: Current Research and Trends in Health Informatics: Visualization techniques theme/Topic: Virtual Reality in Health Informatics.
MSc in Medical Informatics, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 2014
BSc in Computer Science and Telecommunications, National University of Athens, Greece, 2011