I am a PhD student at the Centre for Global Health, Department of Global Public Health, Karolinska Institutet. My PhD project aims at contributing to a better understanding of the development and the implementation of community-based tuberculosis screening policies in Nepal and Vietnam, and globally. The project is part of the Horizon 2020-funded IMPACT TB.
Previously, I worked as a consultant in knowledge translation at the WHO Regional Office for Europe (2014-17) where I provided technical support to the Evidence-informed Policy Network (EVIPNet) Europe. My work included conducting situation analyses of national research-to-policy contexts, designing and facilitating capacity building activities, and producing technical documents. From 2012-14, I worked as a research assistant in health systems and policy research at Karolinska Institutet.
I worked and studied in Ecuador, India, Nicaragua and South Africa, and hold degrees in global health (MSc) from Karolinska Institutet and health communication sciences (BSc) from Bielefeld University.
In addition to my academic activities, I am the President of the non-governmental organization Foundation Human Nature, supporting community-based rural health and development projects in Ecuador, Ghana and Nepal.
- Tran P, Hensing G, Wingfield T, Atkins S, Annerstedt KS, Kazibwe J, Tomeny E, Biermann O, Thorpe J, Forse R, Lönnroth K. Income security during public health emergencies: The COVID-19 poverty trap in Vietnam. BMJ Global Health. 2020;5(6):e002504. doi:10.1136/bmjgh-2020-002504.
- Biermann O, Atkins S, Lönnroth K, Caws M, Viney K. “Power plays plus push”: Experts’ insights into the development and implementation of active tuberculosis case-finding policies globally, a qualitative study. BMJ Open; 2020;10:e036285. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2019-036285.
- Dixit K, Rai B, Prasad Aryal T, Mishra G, Teixeira de Siqueira-Filha N, Paudel PR, Levy JW, van Rest J, Gurung SC, Dhital R, Biermann O et al. Research protocol for a mixed-methods study to characterise and address the socioeconomic impact of accessing TB diagnosis and care in Nepal [version 1; peer review: 2 approved with reservations]. Wellcome Open Res 2020, 5:19. https://doi.org/10.12688/wellcomeopenres.15677.1.
- Biermann O, Lönnroth K, Caws M, Kerri Viney. Factors influencing active tuberculosis case-finding policy development and implementation: a scoping review. BMJ Open; 2019;0:e031284. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2019-031284.
- Oh KH, Rahevar K, Nishikiori N, Viney K, Choi H, Biermann O, Kim HJ, Nou C, Kim S, Zhu G, Zhang H, Xu C, Bounmala S, Senchanthixay M, Purevdorj E, Khaltar U, Paguirigan R, Amoguis H, Phu VX, Khang DX. Action towards Universal Health Coverage and Social Protection for Tuberculosis Care and Prevention: Workshop on the End TB Strategy Pillar 2 in the Western Pacific Region 2017. Trop Med Infect Dis; 2019:4(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/tropicalmed4010003
- Mihalicza P, Leys M, Borbás I, Szigeti S, Biermann O, Kuchenmüller T. Qualitative assessment of opportunities and challenges to improve evidence-informed health policy-making in Hungary – an EVIPNet situation analysis pilot. Health Research Policy and Systems; 2018:16:50. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12961-018-0331-z.
- Biermann O, Kuchenmüller T, Panisset U, Leys M. Policy dialogues – facilitators’ perceived role and influence. International Journal of Health Governance; 2018:23(2);120-133. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/IJHG-12-2017-0063.
- Biermann O, Eckhardt M, Carlfjord S, Forsberg B. Towards sustainable collaboration between non-governmental organizations and public services in health – a qualitative case study from rural Ecuador. Global Health Action; 2016:9:32237. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/gha.v9.32237.
- Leppänen A*, Biermann O*, Sundberg CJ, Tomson T. Perceived feasibility of a primary care intervention for Tobacco Cessation on Prescription targeting disadvantaged groups in Sweden: a qualitative study. BMC Research Notes; 2016:9:151. DOI: 10.1186/s13104-016-1949-y. (*co-first authors)
- Rutberg H, Eckhardt M, Biermann O. Patientensicherheit in Schweden und die nordische Zusammenarbeit für Patientensicherheit. Bundesgesundheitsblatt, 2015:58(1);16-22. DOI: 10.1007/s00103-014-2074-5.
- Tomson G, Biermann O. Health policy reform in low-income and lower middle-income countries in Southeast Asia. In: Kuhlmann E, Blank RH, Bourgeault IL, Wendt C (eds). Palgrave International Handbook of Health Care Policy, Basingstoke, 2015.
- Biermann O, Kuchenmüller T, Nguyen T. Policy dialogue preparation and facilitation checklist – Evidence-informed Policy Network (EVIPNet) Europe. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 2016.
- Biermann O, Kuchenmüller T, Brickman S, Nguyen T. Communication and advocacy checklist – EVIPNet Europe. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 2016.
- Biermann O, Kuchenmüller T, Mooney A, Takahashi R, Nguyen T. Using research evidence for policy-making - Report of the fourth multicountry meeting of EVIPNet Europe, 15-16 June 2016, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 2016.
- Biermann O, Kuchenmüller T, Takahashi R, Nguyen T. Using research evidence for policy-making - Report of the third multicountry meeting of EVIPNet Europe, 10-12June 2015, Trakai, Lithuania. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 2016.
- Biermann O, Kuchenmüller T, Takahashi R, Nguyen T. Towards an accelerated roadmap for strengthening evidence-informed policy-making in the WHO European Region – Report of the First Technical Expert Meeting. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 2016.