Affiliated to research
Professsor emeritus of Medical Physics.
- Born 1936 in Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Cooperation with Torbjörn Caspersson in fluorescence micro spectroscopy. MD, PhD in 1966 at Karolinska Institutet.
- Coooperation with Manfred Eigen, Max Planck Institute in Göttingen, Germany, and development of fluorescence relaxation for chemical kinetics.
- Start of fluorescence fluctuation spectroscopy now known as FCS (fluorescence correlation spectroscopy), today the method of choice for counting and analyzing single molecules.
- 1983-1985 professor of molecular biophysics at Chemisty Centrum, University of Lund.
- 1985-2001 professor of medical physics at Karolinska Institutet.
- 2002-2012 research in FCS at EPFL (ETH Lausanne) in Switzerland.
- From 2012 and ongoing at the Department of Medical Biophysics and Biochemistry, Karolinska Institutet, and at the Centre for Molecular Medicine.
Multipoint FCS in analysis of neuro ligand-receptors in cellular networks, molecular basis of amyloid diseases together with Vladana Vukojevic and Lars Terenius.
Developoment of high precision single molecule DNA sequencing for early detection of tumor together with Gert Auer, Bo Franzen and GNOTHIS AB.