I am a PhD student Global and Sexual Health research group at the Department of Global Public Health, Karolinska Institutet, and a research assistant at the Swedish Institute for Global Health Transformation (SIGHT) at the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, based in Stockholm, Sweden.
My current engagement is also with the "Lancet-SIGHT Commission on peaceful societies through health and gender equality", as a Lancet Commissioner, representing the Next Generation.
My previous experience includes training at the ECDC and working on the “Evidence-based guidance on screening for infectious diseases among migrants to the EU/EEA” as a member of the ECDC Migrant Health Task Force. During 2012-2015, I worked with the UNFPA as a Programme Analyst on Sexual and Reproductive Health, HIV, Youth, and Emergency Preparedness, and being a UN Cares focal point for BiH. Prior to that, I was a Fulbright Visiting Scholar at the Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA. Between 2007-2011, I worked for Novartis Pharma AG and Sanofi, two of the top-10 pharmaceutical companies globally, as Drug Regulatory Affairs Officer and advising on Drug Safety and Pharmacovigilance issues.
I am the co-founder of Women in Global Health Sweden.
My research is in sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), focusing on HIV. I am focusing on the risk behaviors and risk factors of migrant men, more closely looking into their SRHR. My research is currently focused on Sweden, but I have been researching the broader global health in the light of the Agenda 2030 and the SDGs.
Areas of expertise include:
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Global Health
- Migrant population
- “Solidarity and Universal preparedness for health after Covid-19”, Tomson G., Causevic S., Ottersen OP., Swartling Peterson S., Rashid S., Wanyenze RK., Yamin AE. BMJ 2021
- “Global strategies and local implementation of health and health-related SDGs: lessons from consultation in countries across five regions”. Siddiqi S, Aftab W, Siddiqui FJ, Huicho L, Mogilevskii R, Friberg P, Lindgren-Garcia J, Causevic S, Khamis A, Murad Shah M, Bhutta ZA. BMJ Glob Heal. 2020;5(9):e002859.
- “Intersectoral and integrated approaches in achieving the right to health for refugees on resettlement: a scoping review”. Ho S, Javadi D, Causevic S, Langlois E, Friberg P, Tomson G. BMJ Open 2019; 9:e029407.
- “A scoping review of health-related stigma outcomes for high-burden diseases in low- and middle-income countries”. Kane J.C., Elafros M.A., Murray S.M., Mitchell E.M.H., Augustinavicius J.L., Causevic S., Baral S.D. (2019) BMC Medicine, 17(1), art.no.17
- “Delivered by women, led by men: A gender and equity analysis of the global health and social workforce.” Geneva: World Health Organization; 2019 (Human Resources for Health Observer Series No. 24). Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO
- “Youth policy 2016-2020 Republika Srpska”, 2015;
- “Post-2015 National Consultations in BiH: Culture and development - Final Report by the UN Country Team in Bosnia and Herzegovina”, November 2014;
- “The implementation of Breast and Cervical Cancer screening programs in Bosnia and Herzegovina”, December 2013;
Blogs, debate articles and opinions:
- “The 2030 Agenda: A Survival kit for Humanity”, Friberg et al., Molecular Frontiers Journal, Vol. 03, No. 02, pp. 166-172 (2019)
- ”Utmaningar som utrikes födda kvinnor möter är mångfaldiga”. Solvig E, Causevic S. Dagens Medicin. March 2019.
- “Total content of phenols and anthocyanins in flowers of some plants” - 31.FEBS Congress Molecules in Health and Diseases, Istanbul, Turkey June 2006;
- “Urinary dopamine sulphate: regulations and significance in neurological disorders” - XV. Congress of Clinical Laboratory Federation, Antalya, Turkey, September 2007
Lecturer at the graduate and undergraduate levels on topics related to SRHR, Health policy and management, Sustainable Development Goals and UHC, and Migrant and refugee health.
- University of London, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Master of Science in Global Health Policy
- Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health Fulbright Scholar, Graduate Research Scientist at the Department of Health Policy and Management and Center for Public Health and Human Rights
- University of Sarajevo, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Master of Arts, Chemical Engineering – Biochemistry
- University of Sarajevo, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering
Academic honours, awards and prizes
Fulbright Visiting Research Scientist Scholarship, USA (2011-2012)