I am a PhD student Global and Sexual Health research group at the Department of Global Public Health, Karolinska Institutet. at the Karolinska Institutet, and a research assistant at Swedish Institute for Global Health Transformation (SIGHT), at the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, based in Stockholm, Sweden.
My current engagement is also with "Lancet-SIGHT Commission on peaceful societies through health and gender equality", as a Lancet Commissioner, representing the Next Generation.
My previous experience includes training at the ECDC and working on the “Evidence-based guidance on screening for infectious diseases among migrants to the EU/EEA”, as a member of the ECDC Migrant Health Task Force. During 2012-2015, I was working with the UNFPA as a Programme Analyst on Sexual and Reproductive Health, HIV, Youth, and Emergency Preparedness, and also being a UN Cares focal point for BiH. Prior to that, I was a Fulbright Visiting Scholar at the Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, in Baltimore, MD, USA. Between 2007-2011, I worked for Novartis Pharma AG and Sanofi, two of the top-10 pharmaceutical companies in the world, as Drug Regulatory Affairs Officer, and advising on Drug Safety and Pharmacovigilance issues.
I am the co-founder of Women in Global Health Sweden.
My research focuses on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) focusing on HIV. I am focusing on the migrant population, men who have sex with men, as well as young people. My research is currently focused on Sweden, but I have been researching the broader global health in the light of the Agenda 2030 and the SDGs.
For my PhD thesis, I am focusing on the risk behaviors and risk factors of migrant men, more closely looking into their SRHR.
Areas of expertise include:
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Global Health
- Migrant population
Lecturer at the graduate and undergraduate levels on topics related to SRHR, Health policy and management, Sustainable Development Goals and UHC, and Migrant and refugee health.
- University of London, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Master of Science in Global Health Policy
- Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health Fulbright Scholar, Graduate Research Scientist at the Department of Health Policy and Management and Center for Public Health and Human Rights
- University of Sarajevo, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Master of Arts, Chemical Engineering – Biochemistry
- University of Sarajevo, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering
Academic honours, awards and prizes
Fulbright Visiting Research Scientist Scholarship, USA (2011-2012)