I previously worked as an Reg. Occupational therapist at the Psychiatric clinic (1990-91) as well as the Neurological clinic (1991-2007) at the Karolinska University Hospital. Prior to that I had a position as an educated combined healthcare-/mental healthcare education assitive nurse at S:t Erik Nursing Home 1987- 1991 (i.e. also part-time during my OT education).
Scholarly experience and assignments
I am a senior lecturer at the Division of Occupational Therapy, which means teaching at the basic and advanced levels as well as research. Currently, I am the Deputy Head of Education at the Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society.
I have had many assignments at KI, for example as a doctoral-student representative in the Research and Education Committee and the Strategic council of the Division of OT, Program Director of the Occupational Therapy Program (2010-2018). Chairman of the Program for Occupational Therapy Program, Vice Chairman of Programme Board nr 3 (responsible for the Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapist Programme), and Vice Chairman of the Education Board NVS, Teacher Representative in the Education Board of Laboratory of Medicine at Karolinska Institutet and the Board of Education's International Committee.
I have assignments as course coordinator, supervisor and examiner on the basic- , advanced- and doctoral student level, nationally and internationally.
From October 2006 I was elected board member (2 years) and president (chair) (2008-01-25 until 2010-12-31) of the European educational network European Network of Occupational Therapy in Higher Education (ENOTHE), whose annual conference, with 400 member universities, was arranged with me as leader on 15-17 October 2010 as one of KI's 200th anniversary conferences).
Between 2014 and 2020, I have been the assigned leader and coordinator of the Occupational Therapy Programme's Nordplus collaboration in the Nordplus network Occupational Therapy in the Nordic and Baltic countries. In this role, I planned and conducted a rotating intensive week of international studies for member-university students together with coordinators from Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania. The assignment has also meant visiting and teaching in the international weeks of member universities. The network coordinators have also annually applied for funding from the Nordic Council of Ministers for continued mobility for students and teachers and for the implementation of the international week. Four of us are currently writing a manuscript on the latest two intensive weeks focusing on Social entrepreneurship.
I am a member of the APEL research group at the Division of Occupational therapy, as well as the interdisciplinary project group OPEN at the Division of Nursing as well as Karolinska University Hospital and Stockholm Sjukhem. I also have some collaboration with the research group Future Care at the Division for Occupational Therapy.
My research is oriented towards participatory action- or Design thinking- oriented improvements to health-care organizations. Primarily in nursing homes, but also at geriatric clinics and in educational settings. The improvement work commonly address implementation of core principles of care such as National guidelines, evidence-based or person centered care. My scientific profile is primarily as a qualitative researcher – using grounded theory, content analysis, phenomenology as well as narrative methods- although within the research groups I am a member, OPEN and APEL the research is also quantitatively oriented.
Research projects which I am or have been a member:
Storytelling as tools for collective person-centrered care for frail elderly (PI: Staffan Josephsson)
Older persons Exercise and Nutrition Study - OPEN (PI: Anne-Marie Boström)
Supporting students in higher education to learn to translate knowledge for use in geriatric care (PI: Staffan Josephsson)
Dementia@home – DeHem (PI: Lena Borell)
KISAM – Sturebyprojektet (PI: Lena Borell, PO Sandman, David Edvardsson)
Brainpower (PI: Bengt Winblad)
PhD project: A collaborative intervention programme on memory performance and everyday activities for persons with dementia and their spouses (PIs Anna Stigsdotter- Neely & Staffan Josephsson)
I teach at undergraduate, advanced and postgraduate level at KI as well as through the university consortium Openlab. I am interested in the novice's path to clinical wisdom, interprofessional learning in clinical everyday life, and student-led, collaborative and reverse learning activities in campus and digital education arenas. The students and teachers study and work environment also lies close to my heart.
(The credits below are both according to the former Swedish grading where 1 week of studies equals 1p and the current European system where 1 week of studies equals 1,5 ECTS).
1993 Medical Health Administration, Stockholm’s University (20p)
1994 Neuropsychology, Division of Psychology, Uppsala University (10p)
1994 Basic Research Methodology, Division of Physiotherapy, NOVUM, KI (10p)
1997 Theories in Occupational Therapy. 0,5 ECTS Gary Kielhofner Univ of Illinois, Chicago/KI.
2000 Meta-analysis in Qualitative Research, Div. of Nursing, NVS, KI, 5 ECTS
2000 A Phenomenological Psychological method. Division of Psychology, Sthlm’s Univ, 7,5 ECTS
2001 Classics in Occupational Therapy, Division of Occupational Therapy, NVS, KI, 5 ECTS
2002 The Concept of Occupation in Occupational Therapy, Div. of Occ. Therapy, KI, 10 ECTS
2004 Aging and Cognition, Aging Research Center, Neurotec. KI , 5 ECTS
2006 Pedagogics for teachers in Higher Education. Department LIME, KI, 7,5 ECTS.
2006 Basic course in Medical statistics, Department LIME, Karolinska Institutet, 3 ECTS
2007 Peer learning, Department LIME, Karolinska Institutet, 7,5 ECTS
2008 Strategic thinking & writing in a European context, ENOTHE course. 3 ECTS
2008 Course in Feedback, Department LIME, Karolinska Institutet, 7,5 ECTS,
2008 Evaluation of Social & Interaction skills. Umeå univ/Hvidovre Sykehus, Denmark 3 days
2008 Workshop Participatory and Appreciative Action research. 2 days. NVS, KI.
2008 Pedagogics 1: Aspects of Working life, Learning & Health. Örebro university, 7,5 ECTS
2009 Distance teaching & learning course. Karolinska Institutet, 7,5 ECTS.
2011 Pedagogic leadership 1, Karolinska Institutet, Department LIME. 7,5 ECTS
2013 Pedagogic leadership II, Karolinska Institutet, Department LIME. 7,5 ECTS
2014 Introductory Doctoral Supervision course, Department of Medicine, KI (1,5 ECTS)
2015 Flipping teaching and learning, The Centre of Learning and Knowledge (CLK), KI (1,5 ECTS)
2016-2017 Pedagogic leaders of the future. 10 ECTS, KI.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
2015 Elected member of the Pedagogic Academy of Karolinska Institutet
2020 Recipient of a Teaching Sabbatical grant via the independent international body STINT
Assortment of publications
- Vikström, S. Josephsson, S. Stigsdotter-Neely, A. Nygård, L. (2008) Engagement in activities: Experiences of persons w. dementia and their caregiving spouses. Dementia, 7(2), 251-270.
- Stigsdotter-Neely, A. Vikström, S. Josephsson, S. Collaborative memory intervention in dementia: Caregiver participation matters. J. of Neurorehabilitation 2009; 19 (5), 696-715.
- Larsson, Å. Nyström, C. Vikström, S. Walfridsson, T. Söderback, I. (1995) Computer-assistive cognitive rehabilitation for adults with traumatic brain damage. OT International, 2(3):166-89.
- Vikström, S. Borell L, Stigsdotter-Neely A. & Josephsson, S. (2005). Caregivers´ self-initiated support towards their spouses with dementia when performing an everyday occupation together at home. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health 25 (34); 149-159.
- Vikström, S. Sandman PO, Stenwall E, Boström AM, Kindblom K, Saarnio L, Edvardsson D, Borell L. (2014) A model for implementing guidelines for person-centered care in a nursing home setting. International Psychogeriatrics. DOI 10.1017/S1041610214001598.
- Vikström, S. Bostrom, C. Johannsen A (2016) Pedagogic Leadership in Higher Education Using Participatory Action Research Strategies - Illustrative Cases from Three Pedagogical Development Contexts. Dentistry 6:388. doi: 10.4172/2161-1122.1000388
- Vikström, S. Kamwesiga, J. Mubangizi, A. Guidetti, S. (2017) Differences as catalysts for professional learning - Participating in a student exchange program between Sweden and Uganda. Cogent Education 4: 1316348.
- Grönstedt, H. Vikström, S. Cederholm,, T. Franzen, E. Seiger, Å. Wimo, A. Faxén-Irving, G. Boström A-M. (2018) A study protocol of Older Person's Exercise and Nutrition Study (OPEN) - A sit-to-stand activity combined with oral protein supplement - effects on physical function and independence. BMC Geriatrics, 1:138. doi: 10.1186/s12877-018-0824-1.
- Vikström S, & Johansson K (2019) Professional Pride and staff´s experiences of a quality development project: A descriptive qualitative study. J Clin Nurs. 2019;00:1–9.doi.org/10.1111
- Faxén-Irving, G., Luiking, Y., Grönstedt, H., Franzén, E., Seiger, Å., Vikström, S, Wimo, A., Boström, A-M & Cederholm, T. (2020) Do malnutrition, sarcopenia and frailty overlap in nursing-home residents? JNHA. Accepted for publication Jan, 2020.
- Boström, A-M., Grönstedt,H., Vikström, S., Cederholm, T., Franzén, E., Luiking Y.C., Seiger, Å., Wimo, A., & Faxén-Irving, G. (2020) Effect of sit-to-stand exercises combined with protein-rich oral supplementation in older persons: The OPEN Study. In press JAMDA 2020.