My research interests focus mainly on epidemiology and etiology of cancers of the aero- and digestive tract, and recently extend also to neurodegenerative diseases.
Research activities consist of register-based research, large-scale field work in different parts of the world, as well as setup of a molecular biology laboratory dedicated to molecular epidemiology (microbiome, tumour mutation, etc).
I have trained 10 doctoral students and most of them have been promoted as independent group leaders. The research group currently consists of 6 postdocs/junior staff and 6 doctoral students, as well as visiting researchers/students and master students.
So far I have published 210 peer-reviewed research articles with more than 5000 citations.
Selected research projects
- Understanding microbe-induced stomach cancer – the key to a workable strategy for worldwide prevention
- The microbiome and risk of cancer in the stomach
- The Swedish National March Cohort
Current supervision of PhD students
- 1988, MD, medicine, Fujian Medical University, China
- 1991, MSc, cancer epidemiology, Fujian Medical University, China
- 2003, PhD, epidemiology, “Aspects of gastroesophageal cancer and risk for esophageal cancer. An epidemiological approach”, main supervisor Olof Nyrén