My research focus on assessing the rare genetic variants in drug response and diseases. The main topics are:
1) Systematically characterize genetic variability of pharmacogenes with a focus on Cytochrome P450 (CYP) genes
2) Interpret the functionality of pharmacogenetic variants with emphasis on the importance of rare genetic variants in drug response and disease
3) Study population pharmacogenomics, particularly for HLA alleles that are associated with severe adverse drug reactions
2017-Present, Karolinska Institutet, PhD in Pharmacogenetics
2015-2017, Karolinska Institutet, Master of Medical Science in Toxicology
2008-2012, China Pharmaceutical University, Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy
Academic honours, awards and prizes
1. Zhou Y, Hernandez CD, Lauschke VM. Population-scale predictions of DPD and TPMT phenotypes using a quantitative pharmacogene-specific ensemble classifier. British Journal of Cancer. In Press. 2020
2. Zhou Y, Krebs K, Milani L, Lauschke VM. Global frequencies of clinically important HLA alleles and their implications for the cost‐effectiveness of preemptive pharmacogenetic testing. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2020
3. Xiao Q, Zhou Y, Winter S, Büttner F, Schaeffeler E, Schwab M, et al. Germline variant burden in multidrug resistance transporters is a therapy‐specific predictor of survival in breast cancer patients. International Journal of Cancer. 2020;146 (9), 2475- 2487
4. Xiao Q, Zhou Y, Lauschke VM. Ethnogeographic and inter-individual variability of human ABC transporters. Human Genetics. 2020;1–24.
5. Russell LE, Zhou Y, Lauschke VM, Kim RB. In Vitro Functional Characterization and in Silico Prediction of Rare Genetic Variation in the Bile Acid and Drug Transporter, Na+-Taurocholate Cotransporting Polypeptide (NTCP, SLC10A1). Molecular Pharmaceutics. 2020 Feb 26;17(4):1170–81.
6. Zhou Y, Lauschke VM. Pharmacogenomic network analysis of the gene-drug interaction landscape underlying drug disposition. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal. 2020;18:52–8.
7. Lauschke VM, Nordling Å, Zhou Y, Fontalva S, Barragan I, Ingelman-Sundberg M. CYP3A5 is unlikely to mediate anticancer drug resistance in hepatocellular carcinoma. Pharmacogenomics. 2019;20(15):1085–92.
8. Zhou Y, Mkrtchian S, Kumondai M, Hiratsuka M, Lauschke VM. An optimized prediction framework to assess the functional impact of pharmacogenetic variants. Pharmacogenomics J. 2018 Sep 12;28(Suppl 3):1.
9. Lauschke VM, Zhou Y, Ingelman-Sundberg M. Novel genetic and epigenetic factors of importance for inter-individual differences in drug disposition, response and toxicity. Pharmacol Ther. 2019 May 1;197:122–52.
10. Zhou Y, Shen J, Lauschke VM. Comprehensive evaluation of current organotypic and microphysiological liver models for prediction of drug-induced liver injury. Front Pharmacol. 2019;10:1093.
11. Zhou Y, Fujikura K, Mkrtchian S, Lauschke VM. Computational Methods for the Pharmacogenetic Interpretation of Next Generation Sequencing Data. Front Pharmacol. 2018 Dec 4;9:248.
12. Ingelman-Sundberg M, Mkrtchian S, Zhou Y, Lauschke VM. Integrating rare genetic variants into pharmacogenetic drug response predictions. Human Genomics. 2018 Dec 1;12(1):26.
13. Zhou Y, Mägi R, Milani L, Lauschke VM. Global genetic diversity of human apolipoproteins and effects on cardiovascular disease risk. J Lipid Res. 2018 Oct;59(10):1987–2000.
14. Zhou Y, Lauschke VM. Comprehensive overview of the pharmacogenetic diversity in Ashkenazi Jews. Journal of Medical Genetics. 2018 Sep 1;55(9):617–27.
15. Vorrink SU, Zhou Y, Ingelman-Sundberg M, Lauschke VM. Prediction of drug- induced hepatotoxicity using long-term stable primary hepatic 3D spheroid cultures in chemically defined conditions. Toxicological Sciences. 2018;163(2):655–65.
16. Zhou Y, Ingelman-Sundberg M, Lauschke VM. Worldwide distribution of cytochrome P450 alleles: a meta‐analysis of population‐scale sequencing projects. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2017;102(4):688–700.
17. Zhou Y, Zhou P, Xin Y, Wang J, Zhu Z, Hu J, et al. Trend of telomerase activity change during human iPSC self-renewal and differentiation revealed by a quartz crystal microbalance based assay. Scientific reports. 2014;4:6978.
18. Lv B, Zhou Y, Cha W, Wu Y, Hu J, Li L, et al. Molecular composition, grafting density and film area affect the swelling-induced Au–S bond breakage. ACS applied materials & interfaces. 2014;6(11):8313–9.