There are several type of subscriptions to choose from, such as mobile or fixed extensions. Here you can also find a pricelist for the different types of subscriptions.
Types of subscriptions
The most common subscription is a mobile extension. There are also subscriptions for desktop phones. Processing time when ordering a new subscription/extension is up to 5 days.
1. Mobile extension
A mobile connection is KI's standard subscription. You have both a landline number (eg 08-524 xxxxx) and a mobile number (07x-xxxxxxx) and are included in KI's switch.
On the 6th of April Telia upgraded KI’s mobile subscriptions to improve call coverage and quality.
You can refer your landline number, e.g. when being in a meeting or on vacation. Your landline number also has a voicemail. It is best to give this number to external contacts, students, suppliers, etc.
Your mobile number can always be called, even when you have referred your phone. You can give this number to family or friends.
Call other employees within the switchboard by entering their short number, the last 5 digits of the landline number, eg. 08-524 12345.
The subscription includes:
- Calls within Sweden and calls from Sweden to abroad. By default, all subscriptions are closed to call abroad. Contact your telephone administrator if you need to call abroad.
- Unlimited number of SMS and MMS within Sweden
- Surf volume (2GB, 7GB, 12GB or 30GB). Telephony officers should regularly (every quarter) review that the employees' surfing volume is in par with the use and, if necessary, lower or raise the volumes. You can buy extra temporary surfing volume via text message if you have used up your surfing volume. Contact the telephony administrator.
It is possible to add an additional data SIM card. This SIM card shares the main extension's surf volume. Additional price per month: 50 SEK.
2. Fixed extensions
Fixed connection is used for public spaces, where there is no coverage or where for another reason a desktop phone is a better fit (in e.g. a lab). The number is included in KI's switch.
Reference and speed dial
A fixed extension has a landline number (eg 08-524 xxxxx) that you can refer and which has a voicemail.
You can call other employees within the exchange by entering their short number, the last 5 digits of the fixed network number, eg. 08-524 12345.
The subscription includes:
- Calls within Sweden and calls from Sweden to abroad. By default, all subscriptions are closed for international traffic. Contact your telephony administrator if you need to call abroad.
- The phone is borrowed from the IT Office. In case of termination or when switching to a mobile extension or stand-alone mobile, you return the fixed phone back to the IT Office. If you fail to return the phone, the IT department will charge 1200 SEK per phone.
3. Virtual extension
A virtual extension is an extension that does not have a physical telephone but only a number. Virtual connections are used for special solutions, e.g. call lists and call numbers.
4. Device extension
A device extension is an option for an extension that allows you to have several fixed phones or mobiles on the same number.
For example, in a lab, it may be practical with a number to several desktop phones. Calling the extension will call all phones at the same time. The device connection can also be used for Skype for Business. The call will ring both on the computer and the phone.
5. Agent extension
An agent extension is a connection to the Contact Center. Contact Center is used for example for IT support and the library.
Please note that you can no longer order a standalone subscription
1. Standalone mobile
A standalone mobile is an option for temporary employment or as a travel phone. Standalone phones are not connected to the switch.
The subscription includes:
- Unlimited number of SMS and MMS sent within Sweden
- Surf volume (2GB, 7GB, 12GB or 30GB). You can buy extra temporary surfing volume via text message if you have used up your surf volume and you can use it during the current month and month after. Contact your telephony administrator.
It is possible to add an additional data SIM card. This additional SIM card shares the main extension's surf volume. Additional price per month: 50 SEK.
By default, subscriptions are open to
- calling from Sweden abroad
- receiving calls abroad and
- send messages, surf and call from abroad.
Contact your telephony administrator if you want a standalone subscription to be closed for the foreign functions.
2. Mobile broadband
Mobile broadband can be used when you need separate surfing volume for e.g. a router or a PC. As an alternative to mobile broadband, you can also use the internet sharing feature on your smartphone.
Available surfing volumes: 1GB, 10GB, 50GB, 100GB and 200GB.
You can buy extra temporary surfing volume via text message if you have used up your surf volume and which you can use during the current month and month after. You can use mobile broadband abroad.
For M2M applications you can add a fixed IP address.
Subscriptions for Region Stockholm
My workplace is on the premises of the county and I currently have telephony via Region Stockholm (SLL). Can I receive telephony through KI and be a part of KI's switchboard?
Yes, a mobile extension (MEX) will provide you with an extension in KI's switchboard if you work on the county's premises.
Can I make calls via KI if I work at Karolinska University Hospital?
Yes, if you get a mobile extension (MEX), or if there are possibilities to call via VoIP.
Can organizational units currently not connected to KI's switchboard be connected via VoIP?
In certain cases, and depending on the existing data net, this will be possible. If a unit is interested in this, send an e-mail to IT Support. It is always possible to connect an organizational unit via a mobile extension (MEX).
To order a subscription or buy a surfing volume, contact the telephone administrator at your department.
Check the amount of surf
If you have a standalone subscription or a mobile extension, you can see how much surf you have left this month by texting "surf quantity" to 4466.
Mobile usage abroad
Taking your mobile phone with you abroad is done at your own risk. It can be very expensive if you don't shut off all automatic updates and synchronizations in the phone before travelling. Check before travelling that data roaming is inactivated.
The inactivation setting is found under "Wireless and network" and "Mobile networks". "Connect to data services when roaming" should be unchecked. A tip is to purchase a local pre-paid card when abroad. That way you have complete control over the costs.
Roaming within EU/EES
Rules for mobile broadband in EU/EES countries:
- Everybody with a mex extension or stand-alone subscription can call, text and surf (only if your subscription is not blocked for roaming, which is the default setting) for the same price as in Sweden. Mobile Broadband subscriptions not included.
- Check with your telephony administrator at your institution which policy you have. In that case the telephone administrator can release your block at the operator (Telia).
Note! When the roaming block is removed, you will be able to use mobile broadband anywhere in the world. Please be aware of that and be careful when surfing outside of EU/EES countries, as that might be very expensive.